06 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L Hav synthetic 7765 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
18058 total miles
7765 miles on 10w30 Havoline Synthetic 4500 miles of this OCI is highway trip to the Grand Canyon
no oil use/make up
supertech oil filter

Results from butler labs

CU 3
FE 11
PB 1
AL 3
SI 10
NA 4
K 1
MO 20
B 1
CA 2424
Mg 10
MN 1
P 795
Sb 8
Zn 945

soot 19
Visc 100C 10.6
Antifreeze neg
water neg
fuel neg

I have no more havoline synthetic to use from the stash. So now the engine has a 2.5 qt mobil 1 0w20 and 2 qt mobil 1 15w50 ep mix. No particular reason for mix except to use up my 15w50 mobil 1 ep stash from target $1 special. Maybe the 50wt is helping with the 104 degree temps were having here
cool.gif

Nice UOA. If it were mine the iron would be my only concern, but I'd reckon that it was attributable to the last remnants of break-in.

Not bad...my 1ZZ-FE..had 6ppm of CU at 75000...these engines are tough...mine used to scare me with some of the noises it made when first started...but it is a long-stroke design...I am running Amsoil XL 5w30 now with EAO filter and noise is reduced compared to Valvoline conventional 5w30 with Nascar select filter...could be the higher temps though...engines are always a little noiser in colder temps...well mine is...mine is in 02 Prizm with 3 speed auto...kinda tame...but I get 30 in town no joke!

11 ppm iron in 7,765 miles a concern? Looks excellent to me. Not that I know anything about this business except what I've seen here. Most OCIs are less than 4,000 miles, so to compare they should get single digit Fe ppm.

Let's go metric for simplicity. The oil in this sump weighs around 4 Kg (over 4 liters including residual oil that doesn't come out the drain). 11 parts per million by weight (if that's how ppm works) amounts to 44 miligrams of iron shed from the engine in over 7,500 miles of use.

Quote:

11 ppm iron in 7,765 miles a concern? Looks excellent to me. Not that I know anything about this business except what I've seen here. Most OCIs are less than 4,000 miles, so to compare they should get single digit Fe ppm.

Let's go metric for simplicity. The oil in this sump weighs around 4 Kg (over 4 liters including residual oil that doesn't come out the drain). 11 parts per million by weight (if that's how ppm works) amounts to 44 miligrams of iron shed from the engine in over 7,500 miles of use.

Well, my Corolla (same engine) gets low single digits (3 PPM) twice (one OCI was 5.1k miles and the other was 5.8k miles) so its possible. And both of those were with different oils.

Here they are;

5.1k miles Corolla

and;

5.8k miles Corolla

One oil change in the winter and one in the summer.
tongue.gif

I doubt if I ran the OCI to 7500 miles, my iron would triple.. Even then it still would be single digits.
dunno.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

I'm on my first run of my mobil 1 mix, I never used mobil 1 before. I'm lenient on the oci, I'm definitely going at least 7500 miles but if the oil passes my eyeball test at 7500 miles I may be bold and go 10k miles

Bill, you get excellent UOA results, and undoubtedly have an excellent engine in your Corolla. I don't dispute any of your assertions either.

I just wondered why a post above raised 11ppm Fe in 7,765 miles as a cause for concern. Too many variables for this UOA's iron at 11ppm (about double yours) to worry the owner.

11ppm is little less than 3 times per 1k miles than the 3ppm that I get, but I agree NOT ENOUGH to worry about.
cheers.gif

The rest of the numbers are fine and his car is running great, the difference between 3 and 11 is no big.

I was just jumping in to show that low single digits are possible.

I will tell you his next UOA WILL have higher Iron count per 1k miles.

Mobil 1 did with mine.
dunno.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

I just wondered why a post above raised 11ppm Fe in 7,765 miles as a cause for concern.

Well BZDefect, if you must know, relative to other 1zz-fe UOAs on this site, 11 struck me as on the high end. I agree that it's no big deal. Just picking nits with an otherwise excellent UOA as Bitogers are apt to do. Hence the disclosure, if it were mine ... Based on my vibe experience, I'd be too ansty to run an oil out that far without slowly working up to it backed by UOAs.

Quote:

Quote:

Is this the pale-blue bottle SM rated Havoline Synthetic? You ran it 7765mi ?

blue bottled "SL" rated Havoline synthetic

So much for Havoline being "weak" based on a VOA. With iron at 11 that means Cutehumor's engine will only last forever whereas Bill's engine has an iron level of around 3 means his will last forever and a day. I don't think either of those fine Toyota engines will be giving up anytime soon.

Too bad fuel was not tested. But viscosity is good.

Is this still the original air filter?

What kind of mpg did you get?

OEM air filter since new still in the car; I get 34mpg highway when I went to grand canyon. city not sure since my wife drives this car. at least 30mpg city I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back