06 Nissan Titan V8 GC 0w-30 3006 miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engine Make/Model: 2006 Nissan Titan V8 5.6L
Oil interval: 3006 miles
Engine mileage: 21058 miles on odometer
Oil/oil filter used: 5.5 qts GC 0w-30 Green SL/ 1qt GC0w-30 Gold SL & Napa Gold
Makeup oil: 0.25 qts(switched out Wix oil filter to a Napa Gold after 200 miles of last oil change due to oil filter leaking)
Oil lab: Blackstone
Oil samples was taken on 10-30-06

The left is the most recent and the right is from my last sample:
10-31-06 vs 5-24-06(11,634 miles odometer/2569 miles on oil)
Aluminum: 1 / 2
Chromium: 0 / 1
Iron: 3 / 6
Copper: 2 / 2
Lead: 1 / 2
Tin: 0 /0
Moly: 1 / 75
Nickel: 0 / 0
Manganese:0 / 0
Silver: 0 / 0
Titanium: 0 / 0
Potassium:0 / 0
Boron: 0 / 38
Silicon: 19 / 12
Sodium: 3 / 8
Calcium: 2736 / 2173
Magnesium:209 / 11
Phosphorus:851 / 571
Zinc: 964 / 672
Barium: 0 / 0

TBN: 5.7 / 4.8
SUS viscosity 210F: 65.5 / 59.1
Flashpoint: 385F / 390F
Fuel: TR / 0
Antifreeze: 0 / 0
Water: 0 / 0
Insolubles: 0.1 / TR

Blackstone's comments: Everything looks a little better in the second sample from your Nissan. Nothing was really out of line last sample, but we always like to see lower wear, especially after a longer oil run. The low wear is a very good sign that this engine is free of any mechanical problems at this point and is well past wear-in. We did find a trace of fuel in the oil. This didn't affect the viscosity and will likely disappear next time, since it's well below our problem level. The TBN was strong at 5.7, showing lots of active additive left. Silicon was a bit high, so we suggest checking the air filter.

My comments: I first changed out the OEM air filter at 5758 miles with a Wix and did my first UOA at 11634 miles with silicon at 12. Then i changed my air filter out at 15128 miles with Wix again and now i get 19? i did check the air filter panel recently and when i lift the air filter up, there seems to have some dust particles underneath the air filter seals. Maybe seals are not sealed enough.. i might have to give pureone air filters a try this time or use duck tape to tape around the air box?? i didnt ask for extended drain, because of warranty issues and im a 3k type guy mostly. But with that much tbn left, i dont see why i could go longer on oci and stretch it to 5k max.

Yes, I'd say you're pretty safe to take GC to 5k. Just sort out that air filter issue. Make sure the filter you are using is seating properly in the air box to make a good seal.

Using GC for 3k OCI's is like using a 10 pound sledge hammer to crack eggs. And it's needlessly expensive.

Quote:

Make sure the filter you are using is seating properly in the air box to make a good seal.

I completely agree. Its easy to put it in not quite right. Also check the connection of the duct between the filter and the intake. But the low iron, chromium and aluminum suggests that the inleakage has not resulted in any wear.

I am sitting here looking at my Blackstone analysis and yours is clearly better except for the Silicone. My interval was close to yours except I had dino in there.

After seeing my UOA after 3k I changed my plans from a 4k run of PP 5W 30 to a 5k run. These 5.6 engines seem to be wearing nicely (from what I have seen in my limited experience).

As I recall you are supposed to wipe out the airbox with a damp cloth when you change the filter and I assume you did that since you follow the Titan forums like I do and pay attention to the small details.

Have you considered an OE filter? I think I am going to stick with OE filters in my Titan.

Great report man!

Hey 12glocks! nice to hear from you again. Actually i havent had to wipe the inside of my air box with a dampen cloth or towel yet. it always looked clean to me, so i didnt think there might be a need to. But in this case i probably will just from your suggestions. i've been to many titan forums but havent gotten much opportunities to browse through all of the maintenance stuff, that's probably why i didnt see that we're suppose to clean the inside out with a wet cloth. I agree with you, these engines are wearing pretty nicely however, but the "low" tbn only after 3k miles (im basing this on people having 4.5 plus tbn after 7.5k ocis) still got me wondering about potential long extended drains on these engines.

Maybe the silicon came from when i did the oil filter change after 200 miles after my oil change (seems reasonable b/c it could of been exposed to dust in the air)?

I checked all the hoses, connections, sides of the air box (not really much buildup of dust; more like very insignificant amount), intake, and all checked out okay. Im wondering if i should place some clear tapes around the air box
dunno.gif

Or maybe it's just that i should of clean the inside prior to changing the air filter out. Many ponderings ill have to sort out later and do another uoa of.

So when's your next scheduled uoa 12glocks?
wink.gif

Yours isn't the first engine where GC didn't have stellar TBN after a relatively short OCI. It doesn't happen with every GC UOA ..but enough in the 7500 range that didn't look like 10k would work out for them. They didn't have service profiles that would lead you to think that they would be that depleated.

Heya Man:

I would say if the airbox is not dusty, don't worry about it. Perhaps it was the filter you had in there or something. If it were me I would probably change the filter and see what you get next time, surely it would not go up with a new filter.

Who knows why you trended up, but no signs of excess wear were noted.

I think your TBN is strong BTW at this mileage.

My next UOA will be a while. I only put about 10-12K a year on my vehicles. I would project my next change about Febuary or March since I decided to take it out to 5K. If it looks good with the PP fill I have in there, I'll leave it at that.

The GC looks impressive in your truck. I have checked the Autozones in my area and they do not stock it. I even asked about it.

Take care man.

Thanks for the replies guys. Ill try to keep my eyes on the silicon level as time goes by. I plan to do another UOA in the next 10k miles or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back