06 Mitsu Eclipse 3.8L Amsoil 0w30 3757 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never done analysis before, and even though I have less than 4k on this oil, I thought that I would send in a sample to see what they say and how it works. This is a 2006 Eclipse GT 3.8L. Has Amsoil 0w30 oil, EAo13 filter, Cold Air intake with Amsoil EaaU cone filter on it. They say the filter is need of service? This report seems a little bad imo, but like I said. First time. I should I just change the filter now? or should I change the oil and filter and start over? Finally, what exactly are insolubles?

hpqscan0001.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thanks for posting.

You may want to remove your personal information from the report.

Thanks =)

The 0.6% insolubles is odd. Either some clean up happening - which I highly doubt - or you have a very slight engine air leak somewhere - OR it could be sampling technique. Tell us how you got your sample.

I used one of those 12v oil change things that you shove down the dipstick tube.

I don't think there is any air leak anywhere. I do have that injen intake with Amsoil filter on the end. Maybe it is time for a cleaning?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Could be dirt, grit, etc...

so assuming that is some [censored] from my sampling, do you think I should keep running this oil? I have other filters so installing a new filter just in case is not a big deal.

I just installed on of my Oem Mitsubishi filters I had on the shelf, and I'll run it longer and test 'er again.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Yeah, swap filters top up the oil and go another 5K, at least.

This is what [censored] wrote back to me. I think it was something in my pump that got some crud in there. They said everything else looks fine, so like I said. I installed a mitsu filter (just because I have 3 on the shelf) and will run it again until the end of the season and sample it when I change it for the winter.

John,

Insolubles are solids in the oil; these are typically from the oil oxidizing and creating solids (carbon), but can be from other solids, like metal or grime. We didn't see any evidence in your case that they were exclusively metals or grime. Also, if the insolubles are strictly from oxidized oil, this 0.6% isn't really a problem amount, it might just show a bit of sludge inside the engine. Excessive fuel or coolant contamination causes oxidation to accelerate, as does excessive heat. There were no signs of any of these items in your oil. So in your case, it appears to be just from a little extra sludge, which isn't uncommon or necessarily harmful. If insolubles are too prevalent, they can be abrasive, just like metals. There is no sign that insolubles affected wear here at all. Hopefully, within the next few oil changes those insolubles get down to the normal range. Air filtration shouldn't really affect the insolubles reading.

The reason the insoluble reading indicates something "odd" is that it's higher than we will typically see on oil that's obviously fatigued and where other suspects are higher. Your oil is showing no stress and there's only noise in the indications. This suggests that the material that is being read can be introduced outside of the sump.

If you use the electric pump again, consider putting a larger container to catch the fluid and catching your sample after a pint or so has been run through the pump. Catch the last 4oz. Dump it back in the engine. For that matter hang the discharge in the oil filler hole and run it for 30sec...then fill your sample bottle.

Change or clean tubing (brake clean works well - when the thing isn't running)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back