'06 Mazda3 - noise after start-up during idling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '06 Mazda3 that since winter has developed a noise right after start-up. Since I don't have any experience on what lifters or valve noise sound like, I can only say it's not a tick or ping but a continuous churning that is louder than what I am used to during idling. No temperature spikes or leaking fluids of any kind. No idle fluctuations. No hesitation during starts from stops.

I moved into a MidAtlantic region condo garage that is covered but not enclosed (after having an enclosed garage the last 3 years).
Noticed that the noise, at first, is prevalent on most damp colder overnights.

The car now seem to routinely have this noise whether air is dry or moist. However, after 5 minutes driving, it disappear is eerily quiet when warm & there is no trace of the noise.

My questions are:
1) What can it be?

2) How can I reproduce this noise to get it professionally diagnose esp. if I drive to a shop more than 5 mins away?

3) If lifters/valves - can oil solve the issue?

Thanks for any insights.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: astraelraen
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/cx7/bulletin/01-002-08-1896.pdf

That TSB says it only applies to the Mazdaspeed line but according to most dealership searches it comes up applicable to the regular 2.3 MZR engine as well.

Thanks I saw that during my research.
My car @ only 72K miles w/ a VVT mechanism issue - if that is the case - would make it very dissapointing as a 1st time Mazda owner.

Here is a video of what the sound is like (NOT MY CAR) right after startup (but not anywhere this loud!) - just like a sewing machine -
VIDEO Mazda 3 Startup noise.

Originally Posted By: tripleM
My car @ only 72K miles w/ a VVT mechanism issue - if that is the case - would make it very dissapointing as a 1st time Mazda owner.

I don't know what you expect, but to me, 72K is alot of miles. you're well past warranty, things wear out, that's life.
I would be encouraged by the fact that Mazda has a fix for this. all cars can/do develop issues. what truly separates the good from the bad is how well the mfgr responds to it. mazda has always been good about things like this.

I disagree. 72k miles is not a lot of miles.
If, u read all the posts on this board, you know that 72k is not even the half life of many of these engines.

I can understand if things wear out like brakes, dampers, or even the Mazda3 notorious engine mounts but this is a key feature on MOST if not ALL modern day engines - a variable valve timing mechanism.

Failure @ 72k is not acceptable on a critical engine component!

Last edited:
These engines make a handful of different noises. I think my car has made that sound a few times before. If it is not effecting how the car drives, I would not worry about it. Most owners just live with the noises. My engine has been very quiet lately, too quiet...
whistle.gif

Contact bdcardinal on forum here :)
He is Ford/Mazda Parts Guy :)
he knows :) whats going on with most Mazdas

Cheers,
N.

just gonna throw some TSBs out here.

ENGINE OR EXHAUST RATTLE AT IDLE IN GEAR
Applicable Models
Model Starting S/N Ending S/N Model Spec
MAZDA3 2004-2007 000000 ZZZZZZ
MAZDA5 2006-2007 000000 ZZZZZZ

Related Category/Subcategory/Symptoms
ENGINE / MECHANICAL / ROUGH IDLE
ENGINE / MECHANICAL / PINGING
ENGINE / MECHANICAL / RESONANCE NOISE
ENGINE / MECHANICAL / UNUSUAL VIBRATION/CHATTER

MTOL - 5190 Dealer Repair Information
Symptom and Conditions

*** SEE NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2007 M-TIPS FOR FULL DETAILS ***
Some Mazda3 and Mazda5 vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions may experience a rattle noise from the engine or exhaust while the vehicle is idling in gear such as at a stop light. The cause may be foreign debris such as stones collecting in the lower engine mount (#1) or between the exhaust tailpipe oulet and chrome cover

Repair Procedure

-Look for Debris Lodged Between Tailpipe Outlet and Chrome Cover
**See SEE NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2007 M-TIPS FOR IMAGE ***

-Look For Debris Caught in Engine Mount Through This Hole
**See SEE NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2007 M-TIPS FOR IMAGE ***

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Contact bdcardinal on forum here :)
He is Ford/Mazda Parts Guy :)
he knows :) whats going on with most Mazdas

Cheers,
N.

Will do. Thanks.

UPDATE - looks like he has chimed in! haha

Last edited:
TSB: 01-012/09
2004-2009 MAZDA3 AND 2006-2009 MAZDA5 - MIL COMES ON WITH P2004 / CHECK VALVE STUCK OPEN
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2004 - 2009 Mazda3 vehicles (L3 engine) with VINs lower than JM1BK****19216920 ( produced before August 27, 2008)

2004 - 2009 Mazda3 vehicles (LF engine) with VINs lower than JM1BK****19245812 ( produced before October 20, 2008)

2006 - 2009 Mazda5 vehicles (L3 engine) with VINs lower than JM1CR******333950 ( produced before August 27, 2008)

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may experience an MIL that comes on with DTC P2004 (variable tumble shutter valve stuck open). The cause of this may be the check valve in the intake manifold vacuum chamber being stuck open. The check valve has now been updated.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Verify customer concern.
2. Troubleshoot P2004 following the procedure on MS3 or in the Workshop Manual, and perform an inspection. If the inspection reveals that the intake manifold is the cause, replace it with an updated one. Refer to MS3 online instructions or Workshop Manual section 01-13.
NOTE: Replace the throttle body gasket with a new one.

3. Verify repair.
PART(S) INFORMATION

Part Number
Description
Qty.
Notes

L373-13-100D
Manifold Assembly
L3 Engine

LF62-13-100H
Manifold Assembly
LF Engine

L3G2-13-655
Throttle Body Gasket

WARRANTY INFORMATION
NOTE:

This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair.

This repair will be covered under Mazda's New Vehicle Limited Warranty term for a Powertrain Component.

Additional diagnostic time cannot be claimed for this repair.

Warranty Type
A

Symptom Code
6X

Damage Code

Part Number Main Cause
L373-13-100D for L3 engine

LF62-13-100H for LF engine

Quantity

Operation Number / Labor Hours:
XXD4WXRX / 1.8 Hrs. for Mazda3

XXE0GXRX / 1.5 Hrs. for Mazda5

TSB: 01-024/08
MULTI-MODEL - MIL COMES ON WITH DTC P2006 / VARIABLE TUMBLE SHUTTER VALVE CANNOT COMPLETELY CLOSE
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2004-2008 Mazda3 vehicles (2.3L) with VINs lower than JM1 BK**** ** 872056 ( produced before December 14, 2007)

2006-2008 Mazda5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1 CR**** ** 308293 ( produced before December 14, 2007)

DESCRIPTION
On some vehicles, the MIL may come on with DTC P2006 stored in memory because the variable tumble shutter valve (VTSV) gets stuck causing the valve not to close enough. This is due to product variation of the actuator and lever where the clearance between them is not enough for smooth movement. The production process of the actuator has now been improved.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Verify concern.
2. Record customer's radio presets.
3. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
4. Remove the air cleaner cover and case along with the air hose disconnected from the throttle body. Refer to MS3 online instructions or Workshop Manual section 01-13 INTAKE AIR SYSTEM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.
5. Remove the bottom screw from the VTSV actuator.
6. Remove the four bolts from the throttle body and carefully move it out of the way to gain access to the top bolt for the VTSV actuator.
7. Remove the top screw from the VTSV actuator, then slowly remove the VTSV actuator with lever and seal assembled.

CAUTION: DO NOT pry the lever out of the intake manifold. If the lever does not want to come out of the intake manifold, separate the lever from the VTSV actuator at the ball socket with a screwdriver. Then remove the lever from the intake manifold by moving it up and down and pulling out on it.

CAUTION: If the old seal on the lever is left in the intake manifold, remove it using a pick or pin, being careful not to scratch the interior walls.

8. Disconnect the vacuum hose and electrical connector from the VTSV actuator.
NOTE: Carefully disconnect the vacuum hose from the top of the intake manifold to make it easier to disconnect the vacuum hose from the VTSV actuator.

9. Before installing the new VSTV actuator, install the lever from the old actuator without the seal to confirm that it can move all the way between the stops.
NOTE:

If the lever does not move all the way between the stops, remove it reinstall it at a different angle. The lever must move all the way between the stops.

When the lever moves between the stops, move it to the top of the range and remove it.

10. Apply mild soap around the seal at the actuator lever, then install a new VTSV actuator on the intake manifold with the lever at the top of the range.
11. Install the two bolts and tighten them to mount the VTSV actuator.
Tightnening torque: 2.8 - 3.8 Nm (2.1 - 2.8 ftlbf)

12. Connect the vacuum hose and electrical connector to the VTSV actuator.
NOTE: Connect the vacuum hose to the top of the intake manifold if disconnected.

13. Verify the mounting surface is clean, then install the throttle body with the four bolts and tighten them to mount the throttle body.
Tightnening torque: 8.0 - 11.5 Nm (6 - 8 ftlbf)

14. Connect the air hose to the throttle body and install the air cleaner case and cover. Refer to MS3 online instructions or Workshop Manual section 01-13 INTAKE AIR SYSTEM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.
15. Connect the negative battery cable.
16. Enter customer's radio presets.
17. Verify repair.
PART(S) INFORMATION

Part Number
Description
Qty.
Note

L3Y4-20-170
Shutter Valve Actuator
L3Y4-20-170 includes a lever and a seal assembled to LF01-20-170

WARRANTY INFORMATION
NOTE:

This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair. Coverage for this repair can be found under the New Vehicle Warranty Powertrain.

TSB: 01-035/07
MULTI-MODEL - ENGINE VIBRATION / KNOCKING NOISE / NO.3 ENGINE MOUNT RUBBER BROKEN
NOTE: This bulletin replaces 01-021/05. Please update your records accordingly.

BULLETIN NOTE
This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin 01-021/05 issued on 07/13/05. The DESCRIPTION, APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS, and PART(S) INFORMATION have been revised.

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2004 2006 Mazda3 with VINs lower than JM1 BK**** ** 533507 (Produced before May 8, 2006)

2006 Mazda5 with VINs lower than JM1 CR**** ** 127354 (Produced before May 8, 2006)

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may exhibit a knocking noise from the engine compartment when starting/shutting off the engine or may experience excessive engine vibration at idle. A likely cause of this is a broken No. 3 engine mount. This symptom could be observed under any condition such as accelerating or idling with the engine hot or cold.

The No. 3 engine mount rubber has been modified to address this concern.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Verify concern.
2. Replace the No.3 engine mount rubber with a modified part. Refer to Workshop Manual section 01-10.
3. Verify repair.
PART(S) INFORMATION

Part Number
Description
Qty.

BP4S-39-060E
No. 3 Engine Mount Rubber (2.0L)

B32T-39-060B
No. 3 Engine Mount Rubber (2.3L)

WARRANTY INFORMATION
NOTE:

This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair. Refer to the Warranty Wizard for warranty term information.

Warranty Type
A

Symptom Code

Damage Code
9E

Part Number Main Cause
****-39-060*

Quantity

Operation Number / Labor Hours:
XXB049R1 / 0.4 Hrs

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Wow, the cost of the VVT mechanism is over $400 as well.
frown.gif

Good luck.

the oil control valve is yes, but the actual adjusting cam gear is much less.

we have replace a ton of the shutter actuators due to the recall on speed's and cx-7's. have replaced a few intake manifolds on 2.3 3's due to broken runners.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Wow, the cost of the VVT mechanism is over $400 as well.
frown.gif

Good luck.

the oil control valve is yes, but the actual adjusting cam gear is much less.

we have replace a ton of the shutter actuators due to the recall on speed's and cx-7's. have replaced a few intake manifolds on 2.3 3's due to broken runners.

Thanks bdcardinal! I think 1 of those tumbler issue sounds like it could be my start-up sewing machine noise.

The next logical question is, Since my car is out of warranty,Is this something that can cause bigger issues later on? I want to keep my car for as long as possible so if it causes more issues I rather pay now then pay bigger later.

Also what do u guys usually estimate for a job to take care of this & HOW do u go about diagnosing it? Mine's go aways in 5 minutes of driving after cold start.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
i know if its a cold condition, we have the customer leave the car overnight and park it in the techs stall so they can get everything ready to check it out in the morning.

then they go from there, either based off of TSBs, calling Mazda Tech Support, or just experience on what will actually fix the problem.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
i know if its a cold condition, we have the customer leave the car overnight and park it in the techs stall so they can get everything ready to check it out in the morning.

then they go from there, either based off of TSBs, calling Mazda Tech Support, or just experience on what will actually fix the problem.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back