06 Kia Optima has some DIIIIIIIRRRTTYY Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a UOA is in order, I'm more curious than anything else. The car has a warranty for another 20K miles and we dont plan on having this car forever, I think it's underpowered, it's got electrical problems, the air conditioner stinks (literally, smells terrible) and I bleieve it may need struts already as I feel seasick when I hit a bump on the highway. I've brought it into kia about the a/c stinking, and the struts, a/c they had no comment, and the struts they said need to be replaced but it's a "wearable item" so no warranty. But since we bought it new 2 years ago and the resale value is [censored] I'm in over my head. I only plan to have it for another year or two. I'll be at 2000 miles in the next week or so on this oil change, I'll go ahead and change it again, maybe i'll try some 10-30 M1 (walmart) and a pure one filter and see what happens Thanks fellas

Had a similar issue with our Optima until I swung into Amsoil 5W-20 XL with the EAO20 filter.

I'll add though, the oil appearance has been about the same from one OC to the next until I made this recent swing. Now with about 1K more miles on this OC then before, the dip stick is still clearer than before.

Beats me as to exactly why but the initial results speak for themselves. However, until I pull an UOA, I'd expect the filter is the main reason.

MaxWander, what exactly makes castrol mediocre. What oils are superior to it. I have used castrol often with good results. UOAs posted here seem to support it is a very good oil. There is other good oils out there but I don't see what makes them superior to castrol. Please don't give me the spill about it not meating the gm spec. I don't drive a gm and don't care about there spec.

My Mom's 2001 Kia Rio (145K miles) just finished up an 8000 mile interval on Delo400 SAE30. It was dirty, but I wouldn't call it black. I scale her back to 5000 mile OCI for the winter on ST 5w30. Next spring, we'll be back to SAE30 Delo for 8K.
cheers3.gif

dirty oil is typical of hyundai engines. i dunno if that's the mitsu sourced or hyundai developed (i'm guessing the latter), but either way they run rich.

for your dirty a/c, the condensate drain is clogged and you could clear it out with a coat hanger and spray the vents (fresh air intake and interior vents) with lysol. that's the cheap way.

car quest and napa both sell a spray that lasts for months.

hope that helps.

from the research I've done this is the hyundai motor, straight out of the sonata. And thanks for the heads up on the A/C I will check the drain tomorrow. Forgot about that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back