06 Infiniti M45 vs 09 Pontiac G6 GXP Sedan

I'm looking at both of these cars, both are priced just under $6000. The Infiniti has 142k miles, the Pontiac 186k. Both cars look to be in very good condition. I could probably get the Infiniti down to $5700, the Pontiac seems priced a little too high? KBB seems to think it should be closer to $5000. I can already see the Infiniti will be much more expensive at the fuel pump as it gets slightly less gas mileage and requires premium.

Which car would be more reliable? Which would be easier to work on?

I'm guessing the Infiniti will cost more to insure with the 300+ hp V8.

The Inifiniti had one owner, and older gentleman who passed away. I don't have that info on the Pontiac yet.

Anyone have experience with either of these vehicles they could share?

While I haven't had any experience with either of these ill sway my option on both.

I'm assuming you're gonna be daily driving with some backroad fun.

id test drive both and see how you like it since both are gonna be higher-performance cars than say a Camry.

really both are gonna be gas hogs anyway, premium or not. Pontiac will get 3mpg more on paper but account for about 20-21mpg combined.

Since the infinity had only one owner id lean towards that (meaning he at least liked the car enough not to get rid of it, so it had to be maintained, at least a bit)

v8 sounds cooler ;)

infinity is rwd, Pontiac is fwd, again, pros and cons with both.

both engine bays are cramped, not really much of a difference there.

reliability? eh, if you're expecting Toyota-level stuff look elsewhere, GM vs Nissan, however, infinity is still around, which is a good thing if you're looking into dealer-level parts support.

infinity is gonna be a bit more of a pain to maintain because of the plastic shields, and the Pontiac has a vertical filter (good for pre-filling if your into that)

Overall, id choose the infinity due to 1 owner and (presumably) a good record of maintenance.

The car driven by an old dude (or dudette) who could've been your grandpa's buddy always wins, unless you really hate a feature of the car.

Pontiac/gm has a lot of electrical issues.
Generally I'd lean heavily towards the Infiniti. That's just from my own experience.

Hard pass on the high mile pontiac v6. The infiniti would be fun but potentially costly under these high fuel prices. And some of them needed engines done prematurely, though not as bad as the GM non pushrod mill.

Great feedback, thanks guys. I'm leaning toward the Infiniti too. From what I've read, the M45 is kind of a sleeper, over-engineered and solid as a rock. I guess parts aren't too hard to come by either, with many Nissan parts equivalent but less expensive. Not sold on either yet, but after test drives we'll see.

We ended up getting the Infiniti. It is my son's new car after he rolled his Ranger by taking an unstable dirt road a little too fast. Crazy enough, the insurance settlement was for more than we paid for the Ranger and it was enough to get the Infiniti outright. He realizes how lucky he is and has been babying this car. Let's hope it continues. It appears to be mechanically sound and is in very good condition overall. Paint is in good shape but tire pressure sensors appear to be messed up and the ceiling fabric is sagging in a few spots. Did a carfax and it's had 3 owners, a clean title and fairly well-documented maintenance. I misunderstood the seller (he never said it was one owner, but I interpreted it that way).

He has agreed to get a bluetooth dongle from our auto insurance (State Farm Drive Safe and Save) and I went ahead and ordered one for myself to try and get our rate back down to what it was prior to the accident. My wife is on the fence, but she may end up getting one too.

Back