06 Infiniti M45 (VK45DE) oil suggestions

We just got this car recently. It has 142k miles on it. According to Carfax, the last oil change was done at Walmart about 3400 miles ago. We're planning on an oil change and UOA on the existing oil at 4k miles. Looks like 5W30 is what Infiniti recommends, but they do allow for 10W40 and I've read on various Nissan and Infiniti forums that lots of folks with the VK45DE prefer a 40 grade. A post on here from 2016 recommended 0W40.

Anyone with experience with this engine, preferably with UOAs? I haven't had much luck finding UOAs on this engine either here or elsewhere on the web. I'm just curious about typical wear and what issues (oil consumption, etc) to expect.

Thanks!

Cool car! I’ve always been a fan of Nissan, and especially the V8 Infiniti models, ever since our next-door neighbor when I was growing up had one of the original Q45s. Those were sweet cars!

Try M1-EP 10W-30.

It’s on sale for $24.47 at Walmart. Then there’s a $15 rebate on top of that.

$9.47 plus tax for 5 quarts of partial-PAO goodness.

I just filled our 4Runner with it. Took care of the high-RPM buzziness it exhibited with the 0W-20 it had in it.

Try that for an OCI or 2. If it uses any oil between changes, go to M1-EP High Mileage 5W-30 (I don’t think they make the EP HM in 10W), or M1 High Mileage 10W-30, or M1 0W-40.

What's the reason for the 40 grade recommendations? Is this engine known to wear better on a thicker oil?

Could be the VK motor is like the VQ in that the motor can cause a drop on oil viscosity. Long chains a part of that circumstance.

I have run just about 30 different 5w30 oils in my Nissan Altima VQ. Still running a 5w30 in my car now.

Now at 347,300 miles. Bought at 39,990 miles.

Nothing really wrong going with a 0w40 like Hall suggested.

Or a 10w30.

I would go with M1 ESP 0/5w 30. HTHS of 3.5 which is great and keeping oil OCIs between 5-6k miles. Or, if you'd like, you could go with M1 0w40, which is a little thicker has a HTHS of 3.6 and a great TBN amount allowing OCIs from 6k miles to 8k miles.

I would go with M1 ESP 0/5w 30. HTHS of 3.5 which is great and keeping oil OCIs between 5-6k miles. Or, if you'd like, you could go with M1 0w40, which is a little thicker has a HTHS of 3.6 and a great TBN amount allowing OCIs from 6k miles to 8k miles.
I didn’t mention M1-ESP because, while it’s probably the best Mobil 1 oil, I assume the OP doesn’t want to pay $10/quart for oil.

He also won’t find ESP on the shelf at Walmart.

Heck, if I could ever find some ESP on sale, I’d be all over it, even though neither of our vehicles need it.

Now, if this car was turbo, and/or GDI, it would be a great choice.

I didn’t mention M1-ESP because, while it’s probably the best Mobil 1 oil, I assume the OP doesn’t want to pay $10/quart for oil.

Heck, if I could ever find some ESP on sale, I’d be all over it, even though neither of our vehicles need it.

Yeah, I'm limiting myself to what's available in 5qt jugs at WalMart. :) It's just so cost-effective that I can't justify buying singles or ordering from somewhere else.

Yeah I figured. Here in Toronto we get ESP on sale in 4.73 litre jugs for $33 CAD + tax when it's on sale at Canadian Tire. Lucky us, not sure why you guys don't get it in jugs but 1 quart bottles.

I'm seeing 5W40 and 0W40 Mobil 1 at the local Walmart. Any differences between them besides the pour point? They are both $22.37 for 5qts.
oil.jpg

What's the difference between the Castrol and M1 0W40? For those who mentioned Castrol, why would you choose it over M1?

I'm seeing 5W40 and 0W40 Mobil 1 at the local Walmart. Any differences between them besides the pour point? They are both $22.37 for 5qts.
View attachment 64617

What's the difference between the Castrol and M1 0W40? For those who mentioned Castrol, why would you choose it over M1?
Isn’t M1 very high SAPS?

View attachment 64617

The EP is the better deal since it has a $15 rebate right now.

As far as your question regarding the difference between the 0 & 5, there is a huge thread here about that.

Between the Castrol and the Mobil, I know that the Mobil uses a significant portion of PAO (about 20%, I believe) in its base oil, as well as some POE, as well.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the Castrol is all GTL base.

Back