06 impala oil filter location

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just bought an 06 impala with the 3.5L six in it and was wanting to change the oil over to mobil1 this week end and cant find the filter.anyone have this engine that could shed some light on where the filter is. i have not actually put the car up on ramps yet but from the top of the engine or looking in from the bottom i cant find it

Well, if it's anything like the last generation Impalas, then the filter is located just inside the frame by the front passenger tire.

It's actually really easy to get on and off, so long as you put the car up on ramps. (I changed the oil/filters for several police Impalas - all 2001 to 2005 models.)

Like most GM 60 degree V6's it should be on the oil pan side behind the radiator.

In this picture of the 3.5L, it's mostly hidden behind the A/C compressor.

-

quote:

Well, if it's anything like the last generation Impalas, then the filter is located just inside the frame by the front passenger tire.

That's right for the "old" 3.8 V6, which sadly is no longer available in the new Impalas.
frown.gif

quote:

That's right for the "old" 3.8 V6, which sadly is no longer available in the new Impalas.

Yes it is. They call it the 3900 V6 now. It's the same engine, same bore, same stroke, same block, everything, except they added VVT for about 40 more hp and 15 more lb-ft. To my knowledge, this makes GM the only mfgr with a VVT OHV engine. The 3500 also comes in a VVT flavor this year.

That picture is absolutely accurate, though. On my minivan (Buick Terraza), I barely even need to get it up on ramps to change the filter. It's REALLY easy to get to when you're underneath the car. I even had plenty of room for an extended length filter. It's probably the easiest oil change on any vehicle I've ever owned.

quote:

Yes it is. They call it the 3900 V6 now. It's the same engine, same bore, same stroke, same block, everything, except they added VVT for about 40 more hp and 15 more lb-ft. To my knowledge, this makes GM the only mfgr with a VVT OHV engine. The 3500 also comes in a VVT flavor this year.

Matt_S, check the two pics below, the 3900 and 3800:

-
 -

The 3800 is still the same and is only available in some Buick/Pontiac models. The 3900 is the larger displacement version of the 3500. 3900=60 degree, 3800=90 degree.

Info for all 2006 GM engines is at their media site, GM Engines/Trans .
smile.gif

ok cool ill look for it.for some reason though i cant see any of the pictures you guys have posted.i got to thinking about the warranty and decided long oci's with synthetic is probaly not a good idea so im gonna go with havoline 5w30 and change by the oil life monitor until the warranty is up

I'll be dammed. I wonder now where I got that bad information. I suppose the death of the 90 degree V6 really is close at hand.

The filter on the 3500 in the Impala and Monte Carlo is completely different from the 3500 in the Malibu and Outlander. They finally moved it onto an adapter that carries the filter almost vertical and it will no longer drip down the side of the block. Also you'll need to pick up a PF46 or equilavent, as this version also does away with the venerable PF47, this means you can also use the longer PF59 or equivalent if you want to, I think the PF59's are pretty much gone so heavy on the equivalent.

Rest assured the 90 degree 3800 isn't dead yet, despite the new hi tech offerings in both Lucerne and Lacrosse the 3800 is still first with the buying public, at least at our dealership. It seems Buick is not having a lot of luck expanding the average age of it's clientel downward.

The 3500 now has variable cam timing, the 60 degree 3900 adds a variable intake tract length feature. I haven't had a chance to drive either, but the 3900 is also available in the Malibu Max SS and I'm told it moves along quite well. They also moved the thermostats on these engines to the suction side of the pump like many other newer designs (like the V8's) from many manufacturers, I'm guessing this eliminates the need for designing it to be pressure balanced.

A couple corrections now that I'm at work. The first one of these we saw came from the local rail transport yard and had the 3500. We get any vehicles that have problems moving from the train to trucks. It had a PF46 on it. The catalog calls for a PF61, basically a PF59 without ADBV. So if you want the ADBV you can use the 59 or 46 option.

The 3500 in Malibus has no VVT, but the 3900 has all it's normal features.

The bypass valve is in the block just behind the filter adapter and has a rating of 12 psi.

I've driven the 3900 in the G6 GTP. It's a helluva nice, torquey engine. It'll put you back in the seat quite nicely. If they can avoid the gasket problems on this one, they'll do well. Our GTP at work is consuming a little oil, though. It's not an alarming rate (1 qt./5 - 6kmiles), but more than I'd expect on a new car. Most of them here (all GM's) use none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back