06 Fusion and synthetic oil due to extreme driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

REC

Hello, I have a 2006 fusion with the v6 and thinking about changing over to synthetic oil due to it only gets drive short distances (about 3 miles a day) and is classified as extreme driving.Right now it has about 20k on it.

Would I benefit from this from a mechanical standpoint or is using conventional oil as good as long as I change it when its suppose to be...Thanks!

For your needs conventional oil every 3K would be a great. There is no real advantage for your to use syn oil.

I was thinking that due to the short distances especially in winter time as it really does not reach operating temp the synth. oil would lubricate more efficiently.

Does the car ever get taken out on a nice long highway drive? I have a car that sees similar driving conditions, but once a week or so it also gets out on the highway for about 45 minutes as I drive to see friends or visit my sister. That helps to get the oil up to temps to help get any moisture out.

Others who know more then me will come along and comment, but I think you're fine. Using conventional you can get a quality 5w-XX (what's the vehicle spec'ed for?) that will give you good cold flow in the Georgia winters, and still give you excellent protection. In fact since it's a Ford and is probably spec'ed for 5w-20 (please correct me if I'm wrong), why not go with Motorcraft 5w-20 semi-synthetic? It's a semi-synthetic, it's got good cold flow, it has shown to offer excellent protection, and the price is better then some conventional oils. It's really a win-win for someone needing a 5w-20 in your situation. It's also offered in 5w-30 and other weights, but the 5w-20 is the only one I've seen in large containers.

If it was my vehicle, I'd use Motorcraft and I would sleep easy at night knowing the engine is protected and can handle the cold starts fine.

As for the OCI it depends on how the car is driven, if it ever gets up to temps, etc. Does the vehicle have an oil life monitor? If it does I'd use Motorcraft and would just follow that

you would save fuel with low viscosity synthetic, but not sure if enough to offset more expensive oil. You need to change oil often as there is a significant fuel dilution with such short trips.

Originally Posted By: REC
Hello, I have a 2006 fusion with the v6 and thinking about changing over to synthetic oil due to it only gets drive short distances (about 3 miles a day) and is classified as extreme driving.Right now it has about 20k on it.

Would I benefit from this from a mechanical standpoint or is using conventional oil as good as long as I change it when its suppose to be...Thanks!
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

First of all, good on you for knowing that your driving is in the severe category with short trips!
thumbsup2.gif

I would use a Dino oil in the summer and change at 3 months or 3-4K miles. In the winter you can switch to a Syn oil and go 5K miles.

You can't go wrong with motorcraft syn blind and a motorcraft filter for a 4500 or 5000 mile run. Just make sure that you get the oil up to temp by nice long highway runs every once and a while.

Originally Posted By: J_Myler
You can't go wrong with motorcraft syn blind and a motorcraft filter for a 4500 or 5000 mile run. Just make sure that you get the oil up to temp by nice long highway runs every once and a while.
I dont understand the fascination with the MCSB - Had the weakest add pack on Stinky's chart, at least in the 5w-30 grade. Its probably an upgrade going from something like Peak or GTX though ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
If a synthetic is not really a synthetic anymore, what does that make a semi-synthetic?
As another BITOG-er put it... "I can't believe it's not Synthetic"
LOL.gif

Synthetic will solve the World Economic Crisis using nano-molecular CEO cleansers and Adaptive Loan Arrangers.
LOL.gif

Short trips will lead to moisture and fuel dilution. Stick with 3k OCI's and any SM/GF4 5w20 oil.

Well looks like I'll just stay with the motorcraft synthetic blend. Thanks for the info!

stay with regular...could go 5 k too...the guys are right go out and rev it on hwy weekly

Originally Posted By: J_Myler
I dont understand the fascination with the MCSB - Had the weakest add pack on Stinky's chart, at least in the 5w-30 grade. Its probably an upgrade going from something like Peak or GTX though ...

Whats wrong with GTX? I thought it was showing some pretty good UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back