'06 Corolla 5sp - test drove for curiousity....

Status
Not open for further replies.
sake. A friend drug me down to Burt Toyota, wanted to look around at other cars. Figured what the heck and jumped into this 5-speed.

Man, that little puppy MOVES!! I was blown away at the power it has.

Couple questions - salesman I talked to was very detailed in maintenance/problematic areas, but would like to hear from actual owners here in the REAL world!

1) Does there appear to be any shortcomings/problems with the clutch?

2) How often (and how EASY) for sparkplug change outs?

3) Timing belt or timing chain? And how often is it needed?

4) Interference (in regards to timing belt) or non-interference?

We are peaking around ourselves as honestly, our '85 Toy p/up is on it's last summer (can't keep justifying the repair costs) and the Corolla would strictly be used as a commuter with our other DD truck having a switch of duties.

We also just recently purchased a new Xterra that my sister is interested in purchasing from us, as with gas price increases, keeping 3 trucks around is not in our best interest.

And, honestly, I'm afraid if I turn my sister down now and gas prices keep rising, I'm gonna be in doo-doo with high gas costs as well as an SUV carpayment that I may not be able to get out of in a few years.

I know there are a LOT of members here that seem to love these cars - so let's hear at it. What do'ya got to say??

[ August 09, 2006, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Ramblin Fever ]

I'll bite.
2) Spark plugs are 60-90,000 mile service items. Looking at a picture of the engine, the plugs are covered by a plastic shroud. Pull off that shroud and you should hopefully have access. It's a four cylinder with a side-to-side engine, so I can't imagine it taking more than 30 minutes to do a set of plugs.
3) Timing chain, pretty much lifetime

Plus the rumor is 40mpg is easy to get in the corolla if you like the car. I personally prefer a Jetta TDI
smile.gif
50mpg, torque city.

I know someone who replaced BMW 325 by new generation corolla and didn't miss much his BMW.
Can't say the same as I never owned BMW.
But I love my corolla S even though it's 4 years old now. It's quite torquey thanks to VVT-i.
I would be difficult for TDI to chase corolla!

The only real drawback I see, it's not very comfy for longer fast hwy driving with it's noisy engine at speeds 80+.
Some people find seat not accommodating to larger/taller drivers.

Hello- calling Bill in Utah- Bill, are you out there?
grin.gif

Anyhoo, RF, Bill has a late model Corolla w/MTx, & posts that he routinely gets 40+ mpg with it. He seems to like it a lot. He'll probably post an answer here in a day or so.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by friendly_jacek:
I know someone who replaced BMW 325 by new generation corolla and didn't miss much his BMW.
Can't say the same as I never owned BMW.
But I love my corolla S even though it's 4 years old now. It's quite torquey thanks to VVT-i.
I would be difficult for TDI to chase corolla!

The only real drawback I see, it's not very comfy for longer fast hwy driving with it's noisy engine at speeds 80+.
Some people find seat not accommodating to larger/taller drivers.

I didn't think it was very noisy at all. My friend has a 05 Corolla S and we were chilling at 90-95 coming back from Gulfport and it wasn't bad... maybe quiet to me since I have a Magnaflow exhaust system on my Jeep. I love those little cars!

1) Shortcomings with the clutch? If you know how to drive a clutch with longevity in mind, no. ie, don't hold it on inclines with the clutch, don't idle for 10 minutes in gear with foot on the pedal etc. I'm still on the original clutch in my 94 Corolla!

Isn't remarkable how peppy these little suckers are with the manual trans? I can hold 80 up I70 with my foot resting on the gas pedal in 5th. Not great out of the hole but they hold speed just fine and if you really kick the hamster hard, they'll get up for passing on two lane roads.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
1) Shortcomings with the clutch? If you know how to drive a clutch with longevity in mind, no. ie, don't hold it on inclines with the clutch, don't idle for 10 minutes in gear with foot on the pedal etc. I'm still on the original clutch in my 94 Corolla!

It's a good idea to put a lot less wear than that on the throwout bearing. My 96 Corvette needed a throwout bearing at 57,000 miles. I bought the car used at 39,000 miles so I don't know how it was driven in it's early days.

My 95 GMC 4.3 L truck needed a throwout bearing at 85,000 miles, those were all my miles so I know the throw out bearing had an easy life.

I'm pretty easy on throw out bearings, I never hold the clutch pedal down for anything approaching 10 minutes. 1 minute is unusual for me.

Yes, I'm aware you are driving a Toyota and my experiance is with GM products, but throwout bearings wear out mostly from use, so the less time the get used, the longer they will last no matter what the brand.

I used to have a VVTI corolla, have driven the current manual corolla, the power is hardly incredible, it's a mid 16 second car or so with manual.

The stock spark plugs are iridium and last 100K miles, but cost something like $15 each. Timing chain.

Of course it is a decent car for what it is. The main thing is next to the redesigned civic, the current corolla design is kind of long in the tooth. But the new civics are in such high demand they simply cost significantly more in the real world today.

XS650, I was being sarcastic with the 10 minutes! Just trying to point out it's not a great idea and you can really prolong a clutch by using it as an on off switch like you elude to.

outer, well DUH!! Nobody's saying they are drag cars. A mid 16 second car
pat.gif
I doubt any of us are going to be taking our Corollas to the strip anytime soon so I could give a **** less what it runs in the quarter. I don't need a 9 second street car to go to work and the grocery store.

I have just bought a Corolla Wagon with manual 5 speed and yes it is quick off the mark and very ecconomical. The manual box will last longer than an auto box, although clutches do wear out depending on use. It is an easy car to service and repair and of course beautifully made and finished. I love it. It is just less than 1 inch shorter than a BMW 318 Touring (wagon) I used to have, a lot cheaper and not far behind in terms of useability and fun to drive. My other car is a Toyota Kluger (Highlander) which is a smashing car but with the price of fuel will not be used as much as the Corolla now.
ROGER

To put things in perspective, I have new generation corolla and RAV4. Yet RAV4 is only 3 inches longer (the spare tire sticks out a bit). Corolla is not a small car anymore!

Not to get into a piissing contest but a TDI will keep up a with a Corolla fine especially on the highway.

Anytime above 50 in 5th gear they are in the powerband. Thats why climbing hills is such a breeze, torque just pulls ya right up.

One trip we went through NY and crossed a 6k mile high mountain. Once it started you could see the cars huffing and puffing. The guys out in front were me in the TDI, a Ford PSD, and I think a WRX but you could here him downshift real hard half way up.

Forced Induction, can't live without it.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by Thermo1223:

One trip we went through NY and crossed a 6k mile high mountain. Once it started you could see the cars huffing and puffing. The guys out in front were me in the TDI, a Ford PSD, and I think a WRX but you could here him downshift real hard half way up.

Perhaps you could share the number of that highway in NY that crosses a 6,000 mile high mountain
grin.gif

On the off chance that you meant 6,000 feet, that would be of interest too since there are no roads in NY that go close to that high.

O Jebus...did I say mile
lol.gif

Well it was either crossing into NY from PA or crossing out into VT. It was a long hill with a very high look out on top, as in you could see for miles apon miles. The sign red 5890ish or something feet elevation. I think, it's has been a while.

6k feet! You call that a mountain??
rolleyes.gif

Come here to the great Rocky Mountains, I'll show you a "mountain"! Try a 10-12k foot mountain grade, will then see what car will out run the other if your foolish enough to make it work so hard as to try to beat the others on the road.

FWIW - lots of cars here tend to overheat easily on these mountain passes, even when they ARE new.

Thanks for all the replies, does anyone know exactly WHEN the timing chain is supposed to be replaced?

quote:

Originally posted by Thermo1223:

Perhaps you could share the number of that highway in NY that crosses a 6,000 mile high mountain
grin.gif

On the off chance that you meant 6,000 feet, that would be of interest too since there are no roads in NY that go close to that high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back