06 Chev Express, Pennz Plat 6k miles, followed OLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
express_3-3-7-759x810.jpg

The olm idiot light came on the day before I changed this oil, but when I drove the van to the auto parts store to buy the oil and filter the light didnt come on, so I dont know if it was a fluke or not. It did seem kind of early for the OLM, especially considering I did a lot of 2 and 3 hour trips this time. It has been pretty cold during this interval.

The stable viscosity and very low total solids level would indicate you could safely increase this OCI by 33%-50% the next time around. With the weather warming up, I'd run 9000 miles and test again.

The oil life monitor is calibrated for the use of average or below average quality, API/SM petroleum oils. So it's very conservative for a top tier synthetic....

TD

I believe the oil life monitor starts coming on when it has calculated there is 10-15 percent life left in the oil. It will come on more frequently and stay on longer until it is at zero were it wont go off. To let you know it is getting close and will have to be done soon.

That is a great looking uoa.

Honestly Id like to see the lead and iron come down a little, Im not going to shorten the interval though. Hopefully the copper will continue its slow trek into reasonable numbers. Forgot to mention I used a pure one filter. This was the first time with PP so hopefully things will look better the more I use it. If everything continues to look good I will probably stick with it and follow the OLM. My owners manual says when the light comes on you have 500 miles to change the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back