'06 Cayenne Turbo S transmission oils change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody!
My family owns a 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S (520 hp).
Its mileage is relatively modest - about 23000 kms.
But climate here in Russia is cold, roads are rough and dirty, so stress upon transmission of this car is relatively strong because of its heavy weight, owner's sporty driving style and powerful engine.
That's why I've got a desperate urge to change oils in both axles, transfer case and auto gearbox.
Local dealer said that it's ridiculous - according to the manual, that change is necessary only after 240000 (!) kms or after 16 years - which I myself think is ridiculous.
Can anyone tell me - does changing oils in the whole tranny after 4 years and 23000 kms of mileage make sense? Will there be any performance improvements, noise reduction, smoother shifts?
And I've had difficulties to determine which type of oils should be used in both axles. Will usual GL-5 75W-90 synthetic oil fit?
And is it reasonable to use Motul's ATF instead or Porsche's original fluid in the gearbox and transfer case - I've heard that auto tranny fluid cannot be drained fully and old fluid mixes with fresh fluid inevitably.
If any of you can provide useful quotes or DIY scenario - I will be most grateful.

Hey, you North American guys - don't you want to lend a hand to the ignorant Russian bear, who's stuck a little bit? :)

Last edited:
While I don't know anything about newer Porsche fluid requirements, I would say purchase the factory stuff and change it out if you want.

I see no reason to change any of those fluids at this time unless you suspect water contamination somehow and that would only occur if you tried to cross a shallow river and submerged any of these units significantly. The main fluid that is adversely affected by your cold, etc would be the engine oil and filter, which I assume you are changing regularly. I would not even consider changing any of these fluids before 100,000 km or more. The cost vs benefit would be way too high. This is just my opinion. Porsche comes with high enough quality synthetic fluid from the factory.

If you are driving often on dusty, dirty roads, then I would consider an air filter change perhaps sooner than the owners manual suggests. Just be sure to get a high quality replacement and that it seals well in the airbox (installed properly).

When it does come time to change these fluids, then look to Motul or other high qualilty fluid that meets Porsche specs. You have plenty of time before making this decision, in my opinion. In my experience with premium German autos, changing fluids at about half the interval of time or mileage that is recommended, makes the most sense for difficult running conditions or someone who wants to do go the extra mile in preventative maintenance.

BTW, I have several Russian and Ukrainian friends here and we work on our vehicles together at times. Good people, at least the ones I know!

Yes, with the time difference it was a little late here.I agree with bmwtechguy,unless you dive this like a rally car. (which I could see myself doing).For an oil brand choice,Motul is well recommended,if overkill.

Last edited:
rshaw125
- I can afford Porsche fluids, but don't think it is reasonable to overpay for them more than twice.

bmwtechguy
Thanks for your answer. Now I have more unformation to think about.
Unfortunately, I don't know any American in the real world (just Internet) - but looks like you are decent guys, without irony.

FL Rob
Thank you as well.

Originally Posted By: Nickyracer
rshaw125
- I can afford Porsche fluids, but don't think it is reasonable to overpay for them more than twice.

bmwtechguy
Thanks for your answer. Now I have more unformation to think about.
Unfortunately, I don't know any American in the real world (just Internet) - but looks like you are decent guys, without irony.

FL Rob
Thank you as well.

There are many good people here and all over the world for that matter. My friend in my car club moved here years ago from Russia. He still has the heavy Russian accent. He bought a meineke (exhaust and brakes business) franchise and he does all of our custom exhaust systems. Very nice guy but very hot tempered.

I also have to agree with the above about not needing to change the fluids yet. Porsche uses good quality fluids from the factory and I think it would be a waste of time and money to change them out this early.

I would change the trans oil way before the gear oils.

On a difficult vehicle to service, maybe 60kkm would be the earliest I'd "worry" about it.

ProStreetCamaro
Thank you. Looks like your ex-Russian friend is like hot-headed Boris "The Blade" from Guy Ritchie's "Snatch".

Audi Junkie
Thank you.

I have an Opel Astra, the recommendation for manual trans oil change is for a single change at 6000 miles, and not again.

In my Hondas, I've done about the same for the first change with the autotrans, but it is really easy to drain and fill. I change half the fluid ever year since.

If you are just talking about a reasonable service interval that gets good use form the original fill, yes, about 60,000 kilometers seems reasonable, maybe 75k. The trans in the Cayenne may be more or less hard on the fluid than average, I just don't know. There is a UOA section here for used trans and gear oils you may want to browse.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=47&page=1

Owners manual and dealer mentality: "If you can afford that Porsche, you can afford a new one when it breaks in a couple years..."

So, change the fluids.

Your mileage(kilometerage?) is low. So, there is no rush. But, with 4+ years usage, all levels should be checked and topped off as needed.

I change all my fluids based on mileage OR time. So, when you hit the 5th birthday on that vehicle, I would definitely change ALL fluids out based on TIME! You can have the old fluid analyzed for wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back