‘05 Town & Country 3.8L valve cover gasket replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought this a couple years ago with 150k miles. Thanks to a balmy 60 degree Indiana day today, I decided to tackle a leaky front valve cover gasket. Really happy with what I uncovered. No idea the prior owners maintenance schedule, but I've been using either Amsoil XL 5w20 or Phillips 66 Shield Choice 10w30. Average OCI since I've had it is around 7500 miles.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Danno
The OCD in me would have me changing the rear gasket as well....
whistle.gif

I hear ya! As a PITA that one is to take off, I did my due diligence and ran my phone back there and took some pics. While there's minor seepage, there's no leakage like in the front. I didn't want to ruin my good day I had replacing the front one with no problems. I'll likely tackle the rear one in the spring when I do all my other annual spring maintenance on it.
thumbsup2.gif

The rear valve cover & plugs on the Chrysler minivans are easily accessible if you remove the wiper cowl. (If it's been a while you may need a small puller to remove the wiper arms).

Takes 15 minutes, the second or third time...

PS: replace the PCV valve while you are back there.

Last edited:
These are good and long lasting motors. The few I have come across that have had early demise were a result of a stuck OE thermostat. Cheap and easy insurance if it hasn't been changed yet.

My brother has a 3.8 GC with about 300k miles on it. Engine runs like a fine watch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back