'05 Sienna-- M1 HM 5-30 SL or M1 0-30 SN ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDD

The 05 Sienna is due for an OC and I have both these M1 oils in my stash. I originally bought the high mileage SL since I thought it was going away and thought the coming SM version was going to be dumbed down. Probably wrong on that assumption, but that was my mindset at the time. Anyway, I have seen the SN M1 0-30 UOAs and they seem to be looking good. Any thoughts on the SL High Mileage M1 5-30? Is it obsolete compared to the new Mobil SN's?

Edit: Current fill M1 HM 5-30

Last edited:
How many miles on the van?

M1 0w-30 is an energy conserving oil and as such should improve your fuel economy. Unless the vehicle has a ton of miles and is leaking, I think M1 0w-30 would be a better choice.

How many oil change do you plan to do a year ? If you like to do 2 oil changes a year, one in fall and one in spring then M1 AFE 0W30 for fall-winter months and M1 HM 5W30 in spring-summer months, until all M1 HM 5W30 is used up then just use M1 AFE 0W30 all year.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How many miles on the van?

M1 0w-30 is an energy conserving oil and as such should improve your fuel economy. Unless the vehicle has a ton of miles and is leaking, I think M1 0w-30 would be a better choice.

83,xxx miles. No leaks. Consumes maybe .5 quarts in 5000 miles. I do +- 5000 mi OCs due to the winter cold here and about half the trips are short. Van gets about 12-13000 mi a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back