05 Saturn Vue - 3.5L Honda - 5070mi 0w-30 GC M02+M04

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

I'm thinking of getting a K&N Precharger for my 77 Series intake kit. Could the silicon be because of that, or is it just break-in?

Excellent result for a dirty breaking Honda v6 motor. IMO, silicon is due to break-in. What is the OCI time? Driving type? Any mileage comparison to oem 20 weight oil?

I am beginning to believe that these 3.5L motors gets a bit better wear on 30 weight oils.

One word: Wow! Insolubles are low and FP is high. Too bad GC won't be around for the long haul as it's doing a great job in your Vue!

The answer to your silicon question can only be answered by trending a couple more UOAs. If it goes down, then it's the break-in, if it doesn't, it's the K&N. More data is needed to draw a conclusion...

This is the first time I've seen the word "swimmingly" in an UOA!
smile.gif

quote:

Excellent result for a dirty breaking Honda v6 motor. IMO, silicon is due to break-in. What is the OCI time? Driving type? Any mileage comparison to oem 20 weight oil?

I am beginning to believe that these 3.5L motors gets a bit better wear on 30 weight oils.

My CURRENT OCI is 8,000 miles, which I am about 1500 miles into. The analyzed oil was run for 5,070 miles. Filter is a PureONE.

Driving style, lets just say I hunt for little hondas on friday nights. (However the engine is babied as far as warmup goes. Always let it warm up for at least a minute on every cold start before I move it out of park, and I don't drive it hard past ~2750rpm or so until the engine is fully warm) But yeah, I drive it like it was stolen.

Mileage wise, I haven't noticed a difference. I get bad gas mileage, thats all I know :-D

In most cases of a nearly new engine, don't sweat the silicon. In new engines it's just a product of the silicone sealants commonly used during manufacture. (Silicones are a combination of organics and silicon. Analysis only uncovers the presence and concentraion of specific elements, not their source, so harmlessly leeched silicones will count as silicon.) You'll see a downward trend in future analysis results. However, if you're concerned about filtration, check the post-filter intake plumbing. If it's dust free, you're good to go with the current filter. If you do find dust contamination after the filter, you either have a defective or incorrectly mounted filter, or a leak somewhere. (Check clamps and unions if you suspect the latter.)

"Swimmingly"? I wonder if one of Blackstone's newest personnel additions is named, "Clive", "Harcourt", or "Nigel"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back