05 PRIUS - 76 Super Synthetic Blend 5w30 - 6200mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the car a few months ago so I'm a noobie at this Hybrid thing. All I say now when hitting the GoPedal is "I want my MPG!!!" because acceleration is so slow and it handles like a battleship! In fact, I named it the "USS Wanderer". It's the ultimate antithesis of my other car - a Mini Cooper. But heck, 50 MPG ain't so bad. This batch of oil is from the previous owner who, except for 4-5 times, had the car serviced at Toyota dealers. I'm a pleasantly surprised by this report.

I will extend the OCI out to 10k. Should I stay with this oil or are there better alternatives out there for the price? Where can I buy this 76 oil OTC? Thanks!

Filtration: Air (20k), Oil (6.2k) Mileguard brand.
Oil: 76 Super Synthetic Blend 5w30 specs: API Service SN, ILSAC GF-5

PRIUS_UOA_6.2k-%252540-128k.jpg

76_SupSynBlend_5w30.jpg

Last edited:
Car miles. The engine starts and stops controlled by the on board computer and runs only when needed. There is a thermos that collects hot coolant and injects it back into the system when needed to warm up quickly and prevent wear because it's the warm up cycle that can cause wear at temps below normal not the starting. You can drive a Prius and know nothing about how it operates. It take care of itself. You don't even have to know that the transmission is not a CVT but a planetary gear box that never shifts gears and has no reverse gear. You can buy the Prius to save the planet and discover that it real value is in low maintenance and good gas mileage. There is no fan belt driving accessories, no timing belt, brakes are seldom used even when you step on the brake pedal because you're probably recharging the battery. And as for the traction battery most of what you have heard is wrong spread by people that know nothing about the car and how it works. Several taxi fleets in California have millions of miles on these cars and not one has replaced a traction battery except for a few in accidents. And then they go to a 3rd part supplier that recycles the battery for a third of the cost quoted from the dealer. And the world is not destroyed by old Prius batteries.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Is this 6200 engine miles or car miles?

6200 is the miles for this batch of oil. For the Prius, I guess it's more accurate to say it's 'car' miles because the engine is not on all the time. The odometer reading at the time was 127.8k.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Car miles. The engine starts and stops controlled by the on board computer and runs only when needed. There is a thermos that collects hot coolant and injects it back into the system when needed to warm up quickly and prevent wear because it's the warm up cycle that can cause wear at temps below normal not the starting. You can drive a Prius and know nothing about how it operates. It take care of itself. You don't even have to know that the transmission is not a CVT but a planetary gear box that never shifts gears and has no reverse gear. You can buy the Prius to save the planet and discover that it real value is in low maintenance and good gas mileage. There is no fan belt driving accessories, no timing belt, brakes are seldom used even when you step on the brake pedal because you're probably recharging the battery. And as for the traction battery most of what you have heard is wrong spread by people that know nothing about the car and how it works. Several taxi fleets in California have millions of miles on these cars and not one has replaced a traction battery except for a few in accidents. And then they go to a 3rd part supplier that recycles the battery for a third of the cost quoted from the dealer. And the world is not destroyed by old Prius batteries.

You see a lot for being 'one-eye', Jack.
cool.gif

I use to have better UOA's with the 76 Super synblend 5W-30 then with Mobil 1 5W-30 in my old 05 Sentra. I sure miss the days of picking it up for $1.99 a quart.

To answer your question on where you can buy this oil. I order my 76 oil through petroleum service company's website it's around $28 a case for 12 quarts I believe.

^^^^

Or if you have Trop Artic available to you it's the same stuff. I also have been very satisfied with this oil, and the price is fantastic. I have Trop Artic in two of our cars right now in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back