05 jimmy or 05 crv

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all, I have a small dilemma on my hands. My father gifted me his spare 05 jimmy 2 months ago and I couldn't be more happier with it in the snow. Now my father in law is gifting his 05 crv to my wife, he is retired and drives a newer crv. They are both down sizing hence the free vehicles. Only problem is my wife says we only have room for 1, so I have to choose.

I don't plan on offroading any of these, Im sure both will do good in the snow, which is probably my main concern. Driving the Jimmy ive already know the pros and cons to it, mainly gas mileage, I know nothing of the crv's awd system. Quick google search only real problem is the rear diff sheers the diff fluid fairly quickly if not using honda's "dual pump" fluid.

In terms of service history, the Jimmy sat for 5 years, but we did a full tune up, and changed all the fluids. The 05 crv, probably just the oil is changed regularly, so Id change the atf, brake, coolant and diff fluids as well.

Anyone want to chime in?

Seeing how you already have a RAV-4 I'd keep the Jimmy so you have something different. I take it that as a spare vehicle it may only see a few thousand miles every year, in bad weather?

Also think of the road hugging weight and abuse that truck chassis can take on potholes vs the Honda.

And if you ever have to tow, you have this for that.

My son-in-law worked for Honda for several years. Only weak area he saw with the CRV was the AC compressor. You "will" replace it . Chris nailed it.

How are the miles on the CRV?

I'm guessing the sale of the CRV would net more money than the sale of the Jimmy? Thus yielding more money to buy parts that are cheaper? I'm an import snob but that's how I'd go, unless if the CRV was in much better shape and better fit your needs--I suspect in deep snow the Jimmy is better.

Just to be sure, is dad (either one) going to be hurt if you flip one of these?

Originally Posted by supton
Just to be sure, is dad (either one) going to be hurt if you flip one of these?

Now it gets complicated. Free will is no longer free will....
coffee2.gif

The CR-V is the better vehicle; so sell it. It will sell easily and for way more money than the Jimmy. Assuming both vehicles are equal in condition, maybe keep the Jimmy. Just an estimate but resale value could be 2k on the Jimmy and 4k on the CR-V, give or take double the value.

Then again, the CR-V is quite nice in that generation.

Thanks you all for the info and suggestions.

No, either dads won't care what I do, its my wife that wants to keep the crv since she hates the jimmy. Her friend has one and its been nothing but headaches, but ultimately its my decision since it will be my daily driver. 1 stipulation is he will only hand the keys over in the summer. Its my in law's winter car, so he stores it in the summer.

The jimmy will likely need a new section of brake line, new pads/rotors, which is on the to do list for the spring. Its been a champ in the -30C so far. Instant start, fast heat. The crv has 140 000 kms (87000 miles), and only 1 rust spot forming on the bottom of the tailgate. Father in law also has no complaints with winter start up. Has command start too! I'll have to ask him if he has/had problems with the AC. Overall the crv is in better shape.

I haven't got stuck yet in the Jimmy, but the wrangler duratracs i have on it helps. Father in law will also throw in a set of Michelin xice3 with rims for $200. So technically not free.

Last edited:
IF it is a 4X4 manual in good shape it might be worth more than a normal CR-V especially if it is a two door or a ZR2. You don't see them on the road anymore which I assume means they all rusted out. But that doesn't mean a normal four door auto trans will be valuable even if it is mostly rust free. SUVs of that period are awful on gas, especially if it has the 4.3.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
IF it is a 4X4 manual in good shape it might be worth more than a normal CR-V especially if it is a two door or a ZR2. You don't see them on the road anymore which I assume means they all rusted out. But that doesn't mean a normal four door auto trans will be valuable even if it is mostly rust free. SUVs of that period are awful on gas, especially if it has the 4.3.

Forgot to add details, Its 4x4 auto, 3 button switch. 2 door non zr2. Has a few rust around the rear quarter panel. Under carriage has seen better days.

Last edited:
In this forum the bias is for Japanese crossovers with small economical engines. The Jimmy is becoming rare. Would be nice to see a survivor keep going. Dare to be different.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
In this forum the bias is for Japanese crossovers with small economical engines. The Jimmy is becoming rare. Would be nice to see a survivor keep going. Dare to be different.

My father-in-law (RIP) loved "rare" cars. The high-quality Olds Toronado diesel. Audi 5000. Early 90's Mazda 626. Volvo C70 coupe.
They were always being worked on or not running.

Hard pass. Your mileage may vary.........

My mom owned a 2000 Blazer before her 2007 CRV. KEEP THE CRV. That 4.3 Blazer/Jimmy is a constant headache. They always need something, eat ball joints, those stupid remote oil filter lines that fail, the fuel pumps, the electronics, that turn signal stalks, and fuel economy only a little better than a tahoe.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
The age of posters on this board make them nostalgic for old American cars. There's nothing more American than a body-on-frame SUV, other than a muscle car. The Jimmy was also in production at the same time as this board's favorite car by the same brand.
Originally Posted by frisco
Forgot to add details, Its 4x4 auto, 3 button switch. 2 door non zr2. Has a few rust around the rear quarter panel. Under carriage has seen better days.
Most of them are like that, great winter beater but probably not worth a safety unfortunately. The CR-V will be more valuable especially near the GTA because it is a Honda.

Keep the CRV unless you like constantly being nickel and dimed by the Jimmy. GM do not hold up long term.

The Jimmy will have lower resale value (all else equal) because of this. Money in pocket to spend fixing it later, or less of both? I don't mind doing vehicle repairs but I don't want to commit to it ahead of time unless it's something special. A Jimmy is not special.

If you want old school body on frame (don't care about ride quality or handling), without as many repair issues, sell them both and get a Toyota.

Last edited:
Had a 2000 jimmy. It will tow 5000 lbs. The front wheel bearings had to be replaced every 35k miles. Something in the rear axle breaks around 100k miles. Stranded a guy in the office who had the Oldsmobile version. Got rid of mine at 86k miles when the gas guzzler rebates were offered. Body-on-frame trucks are better for towing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back