05 Hyundai G6AU (3.5 V6) w/ 155k on the clock (valvetrain pics)

PXL_20201001_204513127 (1).jpg
PXL_20201001_192541691.jpg

Pretty surprising difference between the front and rear bank, and also I think Hyundai wins for least aggressive cam profile I've ever seen. No wonder this engine is such a turd. The dirtier bank is also the one with the PCV in the valve cover, whatever that's worth.

This engine gets fed whatever is left over from everything else. All the half quarts and quarts left over from tractors/lawn mowers/whatever. I usually change the oil when it starts looking a dark amber, somewhere between brown gravy and coffee. That's probably somewhere between 5000 and 7500 miles.

I find it interesting that at least the block on this engine is identical to (or perhaps wholly is) the block from a Mitsubishi 6G74.

I don't think that's too bad actually. That amount of varnish isn't hurting anything, I've seen a lot worse.

When I took the covers off my Pacifica's 4.0L engine, the two banks showed very different colors much like yours. The rear bank on mine was the dark one, I'm pretty sure that's where the PCV is also. I assumed it was because the rear bank gets hotter being sandwiched toward the firewall (less exposed to airflow), but perhaps the PCV is the culprit.

I don't think that's too bad actually. That amount of varnish isn't hurting anything, I've seen a lot worse.

When I took the covers off my Pacifica's 4.0L engine, the two banks showed very different colors much like yours. The rear bank on mine was the dark one, I'm pretty sure that's where the PCV is also. I assumed it was because the rear bank gets hotter being sandwiched toward the firewall (less exposed to airflow), but perhaps the PCV is the culprit.
The worse bank on this car was actually the one in the front. It must have something to do with the PCV location. The PCV is directly opposite of the dirtiest corner. Overall I'm pretty content with how it looks considering my oil change interval is "Nope, not dark enough yet." The car has an amazing amount of soot buildup in the intake plenum because of EGR, too.

This is one of three of these cars we have in the family, with the other two having made it to 262k and 247k on the original motors and transmissions. No idea what the insides of those look like.

Back