05 Corolla, 1.8l Castrol GTX 5w-30 SM 5.8k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill I do agree with you on your point that any SM oil is good for 6-9k miles in most cars under ideal cicumstances. In any case, most SM oils these days are close to being true synthetics by the grp III definition.
smile.gif

Quote:

Bill I do agree with you on your point that any SM oil is good for 6-9k miles in most cars under ideal cicumstances. In any case, most SM oils these days are close to being true synthetics by the grp III definition.
smile.gif

I don't think there is any group 3 base oil in any of the popular conventional oils, just group 2 (and in some cases perhaps group 2+ but I don't think there are too many of those)

Oh...you might be right. I has an assumption that most were grp III. I know Havoline is Grp II+.
smile.gif

Quote:

I don't think there is any group 3 base oil in any of the popular conventional oils, just group 2 (and in some cases perhaps group 2+ but I don't think there are too many of those)

Hmmm... I was under the impression that to make the increasingly popular 5W-20 it either had to be a high percentage GIII Blend or at least 100% GII+. As a matter of fact I understand it the cheapest way to formulate it may be with primarily low-level GIII (60-70%).

Whoops, hey you get what you pay for or in your case more than you paid for...:)
smile.gif

I meant GTX but everything else stands.

TD

Quote:

Quote:

with the infamous Honda 2.4L

Infamous In"fa*mous, a. [Pref. in- not + famous: cf. L.
infamis. See Infamy.]
[1913 Webster]

1. Of very bad report; having a reputation of the worst kind;
held in abhorrence; guilty of something that exposes to
infamy; base; notoriously vile; detestable; as, an
infamous traitor; an infamous perjurer.

Haha, yep, err... must be the french in me
wink.gif

You get the gist
grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm... I was under the impression that to make the increasingly popular 5W-20 it either had to be a high percentage GIII Blend or at least 100% GII+. As a matter of fact I understand it the cheapest way to formulate it may be with primarily low-level GIII (60-70%).

Perhaps with 5w20, but I was referring to 5w30 here (since this UOA is with 5w30)

SM oils are excellent. Better additives and better base oils. Most do contain significant grp III which technically can "at least" be called synthetic blend IMO. Chevron uses a Grp II+.

Quote:

Yes, but remember that I was into a warranty until 60k passed by.

5k ocis or 6mo.

With my UOAs, I'll stick to the 5k.

Take care, bill

I know you have passed the 60k warranty period and know how much you like to save money. It might be interesting to see how a UOA would look with PP at 10k vs 5K on a dino AND you save on a filter as well, if you are going to spend a whopping 99 cents for a quart of oil you might as well get your money's worth
smile.gif
. Let's say we figure in the $1.50 you save on the filter, for 4 quarts of oil that would be like knocking another 37 cents off the cost of the quart of oil. It's pretty hard to do better than 31 cents per quart
cheers.gif
even on sale (though you may have a few quarts in your stash that are cheaper
wink.gif
.) I am comparing $5.5 for 10k vs $11 (2 changes) for 10k, if we subtract the cost of 2 filters ($3) from the $5.50 we get $2.50 for the equivalent of 8 quarts (which would be used with 2 oil changes) or 31 cents per quart. Now if we consider the time you didn't spend changing the oil (for the second 5k change which gets skipped) and you value your time at $20/ hour, even if you can do your oil change in 15 minutes (including cleanup) that's another $5 saved and even if you found discounted filters at 50 cents your oil would essentially cost 0 cents. It doesn't get much cheaper than that. Judging from your gas mileage(around 40 or 42 MPG I think)and UOAs, 10k on PP, especially in summer, spring or fall would be no problem. Just a thought.

Dennis

Last edited:
In then next few weeks or so ill be tring auto rx and gtx eventhough the valves are sqweeky clean ill be courious if i notice any change in fuel economy. Since running Series 3000 my truck doesnt seem to like the thick oil.

Always love reading Bill's reports! I'm a tiny bit bummed we won't be able to compare UOA's anymore

I guess we'll have to see how the 2.2 Ecotec compares....going to have a UOA of some Valvoline in about 2k miles.....only gonna have 3K on the oil but interested to see how it does during break in and how it compares to the 1.8L

It't wil be hard to match the Toyota UOA's I bet

Goose
patriot.gif

"silicon 4" looks like good air filtration. What was mileage on air filter? Air filter brand? Paper or synthetic fabric media? Any comments/explanation for low silicon? Snow covered ground, damp, for reduced dust/sand in air?

Quote:

"silicon 4" looks like good air filtration. What was mileage on air filter? Air filter brand? Paper or synthetic fabric media? Any comments/explanation for low silicon? Snow covered ground, damp, for reduced dust/sand in air?

Quote:

What was mileage on air filter?

25k @ the time of the UOA

Quote:

Air filter brand? Paper or synthetic fabric media?

Normal Fram air filter. Paper.

Quote:

Any comments/explanation for low silicon? Snow covered ground, damp, for reduced dust/sand in air?

Of all the UOAs I've had done on MANY engines I've always had single digits.(I've had 1 and zero before) Here they salt the roads like crazy and with the low humidity here its always dusty.

Just good filters and making sure that everything is put together correct.
thumbsup.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Utah and freezing temps? Its hard to get my mind around it.. I am not sure if someone reading this from Ontario can extrapolate oil's performance in Canadian winters..

Quote:

Utah and freezing temps? Its hard to get my mind around it.. I am not sure if someone reading this from Ontario can extrapolate oil's performance in Canadian winters..

smirk.gif

Yeah, ok it never gets below freezing here.

bop.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Air filter brand? Paper or synthetic fabric media?

Normal Fram air filter. Paper.

Bill are you sure that your Fram air filter is paper? The one I have is a synthetic media. Like a batted polyester, something like a felt. It has few, large pleats. Similar to the OE filter. Except the Fram has a plastic frame with rubber gasket. Actually says made in isreal, and identical to "Purolator" filter.

The reason I ask is because I would prefer a paper filter for my Corolla but cannot find them. All have similar media to OE filter.

They pretty much are all the same although they can vary from Fram to Fram...especially with the plastic setup. I used to use Purolater in my Matrix (same engine) with never an issue. Just about everyone else other than OEM seems to get their filters from the same Israel plant

Goose
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back