05-09 Mustang GT - Best Used Performance Car Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all -

Article I wrote on the 2005-2009 Mustang GT. My car pictured. FWIW, with the one mod I did to, it cranked out a [email protected] - spinning hard through 2nd gear.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-16995-Grand-Rapids-American-Muscle-Car-Examiner~y2009m10d11-20052009-Ford-Mustang-GT-The-Best-Value-Going-In-PreOwned-Performance

Gotta say, the 05-09 and the new model are really growing on me. Parked next to a 2010 this weekend. Really nice car...

I'd love to rent one for a day -- not to thrash it, just to find out what it's like both in curves and in a straight line. But I don't think any of the rental shops around here have Mustangs.

cos -

Hey, I live in Michigan, and I've driven it three winters on a set of Michellin X-Ice snow tires. Never have had a problem yet. Did spin it out once and slide it between a telephone pole and a fire hydrant.....but that was on ice on Christmas Eve 2007.

AWESOMO4000,

Ya, I have considered that snow tires on a new Stang GT with traction control would help a lot. I had a '86 Mustang GT 5 speed, and boy it was handful in winter, of course that was with all-season performance tires.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Good cars except for the ridiculously high weight.
1,000 lbs of useless crud.

It weighs 3,483lbs.......

How much did you THINK it weighs?

I thought 3400 lbs.
Silly for a modern car.

do you think cars ahve been getting lighter? you haven't been paying attention; modern safety requirements have boosted the avg weight of new cars quite a bit. 3400 lbs isn't that bad, and quite a bit lighter than the camaro and challenger. a tiny saturn S series coupe weighs about 2400lbs, you don't think 1000lbs more for the substantially larger modern mustang is reasonable?

I thought 3400 lbs.
Silly for a modern car.

My '87 GT T-Top weighed in at ~3,300lbs........

The new Mustangs are NOT heavy.

The Challenger weighs 4,140lbs
The Camaro weighs 3,900lbs

Even the 2009 Civic weighs 3,000lbs.

The 2009 Camry, in V6 trim, weighs more than the Mustang!

So I'm not quite sure what is "silly" about the Mustang weighing in at what it does.......

Nice Stang
thumbsup2.gif

Got one myself,have had two quarter-horses so far
19.gif

This is America. Buy whatever pleases you.
I consider a virtual 2 seater to be bloated at 3,400 lbs.
BTW, I LIKE the Mustangs - who wouldn't?

Comparing the Mustang to other super car weights is like
picking the nicest fat girl in the bar [compared to her fatter friends with her].
It still takes 8-10 beers to go for it, and is not your ideal event.

Comparing the Mustang to other super car weights is like
picking the nicest fat girl in the bar [compared to her fatter friends with her].
It still takes 8-10 beers to go for it, and is not your ideal event.

lol.gif

So true. My 530i is close to 3500 lbs, and you can definitely feel all that weight. It's just not light on its feet, not nimble/tossable, despite the stiffer factory sport suspension. Next time I'm getting something lighter... maybe the new GTI, which is under 3100 lbs, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back