'04 Volvo V70 drain & refill suggestions???

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend has a 2004 Volvo V70 with 90+ thousand miles. I don't think her transmission has been touched except level checks. I don't know which engine/transmission option it has...are there automatic transmission differences in '04? Do they all use 3309 fluid? (I know, ExxonMobil makes the not-synthetic 3309 fluid for certain Aisin-Warner transmissions and bottles it under the automaker's labels...Toyota T-IV, Volvo something, GM 9986195, VW/Audi G-055-025-A2, etc.)

I'm considering recommending that she do a drain and refill at the next three or four oil changes to add longevity to her transmission. It is shifting well now. I think I'll suggest to her that she use the latest version of Mobil 1 ATF...excellent quality, moderate cost, easy to find, and a near-universal fluid that is "recommended" by ExxonMobil for transmissions spec'ed for 3309.

Does this sound like a good plan?

I tried a drain-and-fill with the 3309 in mine but it did not like it. It changed the shift points. Next drain-and-fill I used Amsoil and it was back to its old ways. I have 60k miles with Amsoil now with no problems. I don't know how the Mobil 1 would work but its worth a shot over the 3309 fluid.

I did a complete flush on my 95 850. The trans lines were on the top of the radiator. It was easier than an oil change. You don't need to raise the car or get dirty. Check brickboard.com and IPDUSA. There should be instructions. You will need about 14 quarts of ATF.

Mobil 1 ATF bad plan. It's NOT approved as a JWS 3309 fluid by Volvo or Aisin Warner (trans manufacturer). The M1 ATF is a universal everything to everybody fluid. Maybe Mobil says it can be used, but Volvo would not agree.

Just use what the car is spec'd for... Mobil 3309 or equivalent.

Amsoil is in the same boat, but that Amsoil ATF is special stuff and I would use that with confidence. To be clear I am talking about 01 and up 5 speed automatic transmissions using the JWS 3309 type oil. Older Volvos with 4 speed transmissions use common Dexron/Mercon types.

Last edited:
Jerry, this isn't my car. I've done exactly what you suggest on my '96 855T, installed a Magnefine filter, and periodically send the fluid to a testing lab...good results so far.

VM, might Mobil and Amsoil buy their ATF additive package from the same chemical company? In any case, there are no secrets. It is only the most recent formulation of Mobil 1 ATF that says that it is suitable for 3309 usage.

Doesn't ExxonMobil make the only 3309 ATF in the U.S. and bottle it with the car maker's labels? This is the only approved 3309 fluid. There is no equivalent unless some is made elsewhere and imported, and it'll be the same but pricier. I feel comfortable following the "recommendations" for a fluid from any reputable source...Mobil or Amsoil or Schaeffer or Red Line, etc.

An interesting item on that Mobil 1 ATF data sheet...that fluid is only licensed to meet one spec, Allison C-4. For the rest, it is listed as "suitable for..."

I guess the old days of ATF licensed for certain transmission fluid specs are just about gone except for manufacturer sales. Dexron-VI is one of the very few specifically licensed fluids, as are some Mercon-V and a few ATF+4. Way too many specs, plus the near-universal additive packages are working very well.

Well, from what I noticed the recommendation for a 98 V70 and a 99 V70 changed from Dex III to some synthetic fluid. Did the actual trans unit change too? Because it seems like they "upgraded" the spec for ATF and for PSF at the same time, MY 1999. At that time, a lot of mfg were going to "lifetime" fluids in the same trans units and just deleting the maintenance service recommendation. If 2004 is the same unit as the 98, I'd feel safe with any GOOD Dex-like fluid.

What I did to the 1998 I work on is to flush it completely with plain Dex III and run it a few months, then switch to the prefered fluid, in this case, MaxLife. If you are planning on an even more expensive fluid, like M1, AMSoil, or Redline, this plan makes all the more sense when compared to the cost of 14 quarts of the expensive stuff.

Remember to cold-reset the TCU afterwards.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Doesn't ExxonMobil make the only 3309 ATF in the U.S. and bottle it with the car maker's labels?

I agree. Who would know better than EM if their new Mobil 1 product would perform well in place of their own 3309 product? I'm sure it will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back