04 toyota 3.4 v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all. i have a 04 prerunner w/ the 3.4 v6 that specifies 5w/30 oil. i think 10w/30 would be better for all around use in socal. what does the collective think? dino base? synth? different wt.?

Look in your owners manual. I do believe 10w30 would fit Cal's temp range perfectly. I have an 02 Prerunner with a 2.7, and use either 10W30 or 15W40 depending on the season. No problems.

10W-30 oil would be fine. If you go with a dino-oil a 5W-30 will generally thin out a bit faster. Some of the questions you have asked have been asked a thousand times before here. There are no right answers. Every vehicle/location/driving habit is different. It would be worth your while to look at some Used Oil Analysis in in the Used Oil Analysis Section
smile.gif
. Just stick around a while and you'll have your PhD in oil after a few years "D
grin.gif

Go with 10-30. You could always add 150 ml of 15-50 to the mix. I run that mixture in my 4-Runner and its smooth.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 7100 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 83110 Miles. (Switching to GC next)Nope sticking with M1.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Since the 3.4 tends to shear the oil, most of us on this board with that engine are running synthetics, and in 10w-30, which because of fewer viscosity improvers, has less tendency to shear. Off the top of my head, I know we have UOAs from Mobil 1, Amzoil, Schaeffer's, and probably a couple of dino's. Also pay close attention to the interval, due to the shearing issue.

I'm curious if anybody knows what Toyota recommends for the same motor used in Central or South America, Africa, Australlia, etc?

Wouldn't that be interesting if Toyota recommends a 10W-40 or 15W-50 for those markets??

At the very least, use the 10W-30. What are your winter lows? 30 F?? How about summer highs? 110 F??

Jerry

I run Redline 5w-30 in my 2001 4Runner. It does not shear, keeps the internals nice and clean and it flows really well.

Toyota engines seem to do really well with Redlines chemistry.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

moontan, if you are in socal and use conventional oil I would really consider the HDDO 15W40's like Pennzoil Long Life, Delo 400,Delvac 1300 etc....... It is true that 10W30 is a much better choice then 5W30. If you are going to use synthetic your choices open up more! You have a wounderful assortment of 5W40,5W30, 10W30 and 15W50 synthetics. M1 is a great buy and is available every where Cosco, Sams, Walmart, Target, AutoZone, Kragens........
From a 10W30 stand point a lot of people have had good results from Chevron Supreme, Havoline,Castrol Syntec Blend,Pennzoil,and Schaffers! If you use regualr oil I would shorten the change interval to 5000 miles instead of the 7500 Toyota recomends!

If it were mine, I'd run Delvac 1 5W40 (or Rotella synth) year round, or Mobil 1 5-30/10-30 winter and 15-50 summer. Of course based on trip length, temps expected etc. Short trips=lower viscosity.

Temp range in the valleys are from about 25-110 F. on the extremes (with the hotter extremes more numerous and likely). Southern CA. is diverse with numerous climates based on elevation and distance from ocean. Big Bear Lake has seen -25 F.

I have 04 Camry with 2.4 engine and I have a few gallons of Rotella synthetic to use in it.

quote:

Originally posted by moontan:
hi all. i have a 04 prerunner w/ the 3.4 v6 that specifies 5w/30 oil. i think 10w/30 would be better for all around use in socal. what does the collective think? dino base? synth? different wt.?

Here's what I'd use...maximum protection in the warranty-approved 5w-30 grade while keeping the engine super-clean as well.

-

Make sure to use a high-quality oil and air filter as well...

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
Here's what I'd use...maximum protection in the warranty-approved 5w-30 grade while keeping the engine super-clean as well. Make sure to use a high-quality oil and air filter as well...

That Amsoil oil is not "warranty approved" because it is neither ILSAC GF-3 nor API-SL licensed.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
Here's what I'd use...maximum protection in the warranty-approved 5w-30 grade while keeping the engine super-clean as well. Make sure to use a high-quality oil and air filter as well...

That Amsoil oil is not "warranty approved" because it is neither ILSAC GF-3 nor API-SL licensed.

Ken

While it is not a friction-modified GF-3 oil, it is indeed API SL certified...

"thanks all. i forgot to mention most of my driving except for weekends is stop n go." Given your climate and driving conditions, I'd say a good dino 10w30 and a 3,000 mile interval would work well for you. I was in sou.cal. for the first time last November and the 405 definitely falls under 'stop and go'.
welcome.gif

FWIW I have used Mobil 1 5W30 for my last couple of oil changes on my 2002 PreRunner with 3.4L V6. Prior to that I had 2 changes of AMSOIL 5W30 XL7500 (prior to XL7500 going group III). I switched to Mobil 1 since (1) I need to change it every 6 mos to keep warranty (I only go about 4K miles in 6 mos) and I wanted an API certified oil while in warranty. I know that starburst symbol doesn't mean much with respect to the oil's quality, but I spent a lot of money and don't want to play around with warranty coverage. BTW, I use AMSOIL in my other vehicle and think its a great product, so I'm not basking AMSOIL in any way.

[ February 23, 2004, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: mrdctaylor ]

quote:

Originally posted by TooManyWheels:
Since the 3.4 tends to shear the oil, most of us on this board with that engine are running synthetics, and in 10w-30, which because of fewer viscosity improvers, has less tendency to shear. Off the top of my head, I know we have UOAs from Mobil 1, Amzoil, Schaeffer's, and probably a couple of dino's. Also pay close attention to the interval, due to the shearing issue.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the Toyota 3.4 tends to shear the oil.

I used Mobil 1 10W30 and Schaeffer's #703 10W30 on a 3.4 for 100k. It ran flawlessly when I sold it. Still runs great according to the current owner.

quote:

Originally posted by joatmon:

quote:

Originally posted by TooManyWheels:

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the Toyota 3.4 tends to shear the oil.

I used Mobil 1 10W30 and Schaeffer's #703 10W30 on a 3.4 for 100k. It ran flawlessly when I sold it. Still runs great according to the current owner.

The 3.4L has gear driven intake cams but doesn't seem to shear the oil like some other engines. I've done 2 UOA's on mine and seen no real shearing.

My 2000 model called for 10W-30 or 5W-30 with 5W-30 "recommended."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back