'04 Pontiac Vibe auto - is there a drainplug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cos

1) Does an '04 Vibe fwd (not a GT) with an auto trans have a drainplug?
2) If so, about how much drains out?
3) Which ATF does it call for?

1 Yes it does, but you are better off performing a complete transmission flush with a T-IV fluid.

2. Around 3.2 quarts.

3. A JWS3309 or T-IV type fluid. If you shop around, many Toyota dealers sell T-IV for around $5/qt. This is the only OEM approved fluid available. There are also multi-vehicle fluids that have been bench and field tested extensively by Lubrizol that are also T-IV compatible. Some of these multi-vehicle fluids are also full synthetic. However, take note that these multi-vehicle fluids are not OEM approved as T-IV is considered to be a proprietary formulation and no licensing program exists.

Plug is on the pan, on the corolla/matrix it is a 14 mm plug, just like the oil drain plug.

Originally Posted By: frank83
Plug is on the pan, on the corolla/matrix it is a 14 mm plug, just like the oil drain plug.

Are you sure it's 14mm. If he has an Aisin transmission. Most likely he will need a 10mm Hex Socket. Cos, you need to measure what comes out of the transmission. The FWD may only take 2.2 quarts. You should be looking at 2.2 to 3.2 quarts of ATF to fill it.

Thanks for help!

This is for my friends car which he bought used, WITHOUT an owners manual. He has a little over 30K on it and wants to change his ATF which is now brown. A cooler line flush is out of the question for him but he will tackle a pan "drain 'n fill". Yes, I know to measure fluid coming out but needed a ballpark figure to tell him so he'd know how much ATF (T-IV) to buy. I'll recommend he do 3 drain 'n fills.

I do a change on a vibe one is in the family drain fill ever 10k it is 3.2 per change just measure what comes out. Shift feel and price was best with Mobil JWS3309 buy a case at a time.

That isn't in the owners manual. It's an owners manual, not a repair manual.

I have a 04 vibe. I've used TIV and Amsoil. I've never felt any difference in shift after changing mine, and it now has 115k miles on it.

Right now I`m using Wolf`s Head full synthetic universal trans. fluid in my RX.Supposed to be able to be used in any transmission.Man does that stuff have a bad smell to it,but so far my finicky transmission seems to like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back