04 Pont GTO LS1 5.7L, M1 0w40/ 15w50 blend 3k :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

This is my pontiac GTO (62.5k) that is drag(with N20 and race gas), and road raced often, always boutique or top not fluids changed at 3-5k intervals since I acquired it with 20k miles. The results are showing some metals, however with this as a caveat:

At 59k I put new cylinder heads (that were milled and ported), at this time the block had a stripped head bolt boss that was drilled and had and insert installed. I ran some dyno oil which was changed after a short ~500 mile run to get rid of any contaminants. I installed 6qts of M1 0W40 mixed with a 1qt of M1 15w50 with a mobil filter. The air filter was cleaned but as I didn't have oil to recharge it with was left dry (oiled at this last change). I see the sodium but have fresh GM MLS gaskets with ARP headbolts so I figure it must be residual coolant from the swap. I cut open the oil filter and the media when cut off and opened under a light didn't reveal any particulate.

I will be monitoring the next few changes (will take awhile), and have switched this change to Amsoil Zrod 6qts 10w30 1 qt 20w50 blend with a wix filter. The oil pan was pulled and completely cleaned out (no major metal found), and replaced with a new gasket with RTV at the corners, so I am sure that will somewhat contaminate this new sample. I am concerned with the COPPER, as this is the fourth camshaft that has been in this motor, but am not sure if may be from the head swap.

Either way will be watching the next few analysis and start budgeting for a 434ci stoker if things do not improve. Guru's let me know what you see/think.

Thanks

oil analysis first gto by bijanmaleki, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hey fellow GTO owner,

First of all,
welcome2.gif

With the Mod work & NO2, I wouldn't be concerned unless it doesn't go down with the next UOA's.

I also put in Amsoil Z-Rod 10w-30 in my '06 Supercharged 6.0L LS2.

Here is the link to the UOA on the previous run of Mobil 1: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2571688&page=1

Have safe fun & report back!
thumbsup2.gif

Blackstone is blaming the high lead on race gas, but the oil analysis form says unleaded gas was used. Are you running race unleaded gas?

Iron is high for only a 3k mile change interval.

Honestly, your iron is a lot lower than in my stock LS2 GTO on the UOAs I've run, averaging 38 ppm for 3000 mile OCI.

The lead is concerning if it's coming from the engine.

I run unleaded 91 on the street, but was running leaded race gas at the track on the bottle. So probably 12-16 gallons worth over the oil change.

Thanks for the welcome Turk, I have lurked here forever, just finally decided to join. I had the same observation in valvetrain noise reduction with the zrod. I am running ls7 lifters on a small cam with .70 preload and PAC springs fwiw.

And has your iron been consistently high over several analysis? ^

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bijanmaleki
And has your iron been consistently high over several analysis? ^

I've had 2 UOA's performed (and a 3rd will be coming within the next month or two). In the first the Fe was 21 ppm and the second was 66 ppm.

I will mention that you can end up with higher than normal iron readings if the vehicle doesn't get used for long periods of time.

Incidentally, my Cu readings were 75 ppm and 74 ppm, respectively. The universal averages for my engine are listed at 25 ppm Fe and 75 ppm Cu, so that's something to keep in mind. They show high Fe/Cu numbers, so I'm actually not sure what engine family they were using for yours compared to mine since I'm sure the difference between an LS1 and LS2 shouldn't be that large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back