04' Mazda Tribute w/ Duratec V6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

My sister just bought a 04' Tribute with the Ford V6. When I 'search' Duratec V6 I only get info on the high tech version in the Mazda6. What
oil/filter combo and OCI do you guys suggest?
PS: The owners manual states 7500 and 5000 mile (normal- severe) service intervals. I t will only see about 6k a year of short trip driving.

quote:

Originally posted by pbm:
My sister just bought a 04' Tribute with the Ford V6. When I 'search' Duratec V6 I only get info on the high tech version in the Mazda6. What
oil/filter combo and OCI do you guys suggest?
PS: The owners manual states 7500 and 5000 mile (normal- severe) service intervals. I t will only see about 6k a year of short trip driving.

I have the 04 Mazda6 Duratec which is essentially the same engine,and i also drive only about 6k mi.a year. I change my oil every 6 months with Mobil 1 5w20 and i use a K&N oil filter,which seems to do well with these engines. Don't ask the dealer for info,most of them don't know squat.
cheers.gif

On the oil filter you'll get more responses in the forums oil filter section.
Regarding OCI's - just change it once a year.
I'm assuming you'll be using GC...

Vad; I mistakenly posted this in the GC forum because I had been reading a GC post just prior to posting. No I wouldn't use GC in any application that called for 5w20 because it is on the thicker side of 30 weight. I was wondering if once a year or 6k would be OK with the Group III synthetics like QS 5w20, or Valvoline 5w20 synthetic.

Unless the car sees lots of very short running, then I would go for the ocne per year change. Maybe consider changing the filter half way through & top up as required. If it see short running then change 6 monthly. And go for the green or gold.

Hey, their Australia's colours!

sdude:

1. What oil weight does your Mazda manual cite?

2. What kind of mileage are you getting with the GC, i.e., how does it compare with the mileage from your former oil?

Bob A.

A "made in Germany" line, right a above the bar code.
It comes in 0w-30 weight only and is being sold exclusively through the AutoZone chain.

[ September 17, 2005, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: vad ]

resurrecting this one .. I have a 2006 Mazda 6 with the 3.0L Duratec V6. The car calls for 5W20. Is there anything I can hurt by using 0W30 GC? I have 12 quarts waiting for the next 2 oil changes.

didn't think so. Thanks for the confirmation.

sdude: i'm jealous of your mpg numbers. i'm getting 21 mpg in my 6. i almost went for the 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back