'04 Lancer fluid recommendations and leak opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend's brother has a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart with the 2.4L engine. It has about 105.6k miles currently. It's in need of some preventative maintenance and also has a steering boot leak.

First, the leak:
pic 1
pic 2
pic 3

This is the passenger side of the vehicle. It seems to be a slow leak. The current power steering fluid fill is mostly Valvoline MaxLife ATF, and I topped up the fluid from below the MIN line earlier today (previously I had changed one reservoir full back in October with MaxLife). Approximately how much would a fix cost at a shop?

On to fluid options:
  • ATF: Diamond SP-III is specified. What is a suitable replacement fluid? Is MaxLife OK? I've read ATF+4 is suitable too, is that true? The FSM states to disconnect the cooler line, drain ATF, then remove the drain plug afterwards. Is this necessary, or can I just do a cooler line exchange by pumping out 2 quarts, stopping the engine, filling, and repeating until I'm out of ATF? The approximate capacity is 8.1 quarts, so I think I can get by with 9 quarts (or 3 gallon jugs if it's cheaper).
  • PSF: is MaxLife OK here too? Genuine Mitsubishi PSF is specified.
  • Engine coolant: recommendations? FSM says "Long Life Antifreeze Coolant or an equivalent". Would a drain & fill of the radiator alone be sufficient? The current coolant is green in color and it looks okay based on the overflow reservoir's dipstick. I don't know the maintenance history.

I don't know if the timing belt has been done yet (I think the first change was due at 60k miles?), nor if spark plugs were done. I don't think I'd be up for a timing belt job (never done one before), but spark plugs I can handle most likely. How bad are spark plugs on this engine?

The driver seems to drive this vehicle very hard and doesn't really wait for the engine or coolant to warm up before slamming the throttle, and I probably can't convince him to change his ways. I would imagine a lighter oil would be preferable in this case, since it would warm up faster and flow better when cold? The FSM (2006 model year - earliest I could find) states that anything from 5W-20 to 10W-30 are suitable.

Thanks for any input!

This guy doesn't seem to care too much for HIS ride,why should you worry about it...unless you're gonna buy it from him in the future.

The chances, if you touch his car even to change the plugs/wires, of this coming back to bite you could be pretty high considering the owners lack of care.

You've tried to educate and guide him...the rest is on him to do right by his ride.
49.gif

Steerimg boots do not leak. What is happening is the oil seals in the power steering rack have failed. The only solution is a rebuilt power steering rack, those can cost anywhere from $200-$500 depending on car type, and the amount of labor time varies widely as well. If you plan on replacing the PS rack yourself, get 2 outer tie-rod ends at the same time, it will save you some trouble.

The PS system probably can use ATF or PSF, but try some Lucas PSF Additive first. Sometimes it can slow down a leak.

You wouldn't want to mess with the transmission fluid now. Mitsubishi 4 speed automatics do not last, so you don't want to be blamed for causing transmission problems.

This car needs no special procedures to replace the spark plugs. However, first pull out all the plug wires and see if their is oil in the spark plug tubes. If there is, the valve cover gasket must be replaced before the spark plugs are replaced.

Don't drain and fill the radiator now, have the water pump replaced at the same time the timing belt is replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back