04 Kia Rio Synergyn 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
ANA Labs - Not the Lab I sent the Synergyn VOA's to.

2004 Kia Rio factory fill purchased 3-19-04
Build date 11-3-04

Was fresh off the truck and never had pre delivery inspection nor driven other than the factory to truck , to boat , to truck then to Dealer . Was on back lot with plastic still on it and cosmoline all over the finned aluminum oil pan when I bought it with 10 miles . Drove it home , heat cycled , then to the store and heat cycled then once more for a total of * miles then drained .

Copper 92
Lead 6
Tin 1
Aluminum 7
Iron 16
Sodium 9
Boron 100...nice even number
Magnesium 843
Calcium 63
Phos 820
Zinc 894
Silicon 31
VI @ 100c 9.71
TBN 5
Solids .02

* 30 miles
tongue.gif

I run it around for 459 miles with a 50/50 mix of Phillips 15w-40 Synthetic Blend Racing and Phillips Trop Artic 5w-20 seating the rings and heat cycling the motor then dumped it .
At 499 miles I replaced the factory filter with like kind and stuck the 5w-30 Synergyn in it. All 3 quarts
smile.gif
and sampled at 2600 total miles - 2100 miles on oil . I run this car at hi-rpm on the hiway . It's 5spd transaxle is geared low and is spinning on up there at 80mph .

Copper 4
Lead 0
Tin 3
Aluminum 4
Iron 5
Sodium 0
Moly 96
Boron 129
Magnesium Calcium 2303
Phos 1139
Zinc 1242
Silicon 14
VI @ 100c 10.1
TBN 9.70
Solids 0
Fuel 0

These little guys are tough on oil at speed with that little sump at temps above 80F. Tougher when new and breaking in .

EDIT :
Per the owners manual I was supposed to be running a 40 or 50wt oil during this period above 85F .......... I think different
nono.gif

I also don't subcribe theory of running the 5000 miles of break-in before switching to a true synlube . Zero consumption here
patriot.gif

[ May 18, 2004, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

What can you say? Looks good. The Si I'm sure is from it being so new. Pb, Cu and Fe sure look good and a TBN of 9.7 is surely good to go for another 4 to 5K at least. That synergy sure is looking better and better. Sure like the moly and the ZDP package. Next to M1 Racing oil, nothing compares to this stuff. Wonder what the TBN will be like when she hits 9 to 10K. How long are you planning to leave the oil in there? I agree with you, I'd run the 5W-30 in this.

[ May 18, 2004, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

Actually looks like Synergen has a good add pack.

What does KIA say about the factory fill, as far as how long to leave it in? 5000 miles? Seems you were determined to flush out the factory goodies!

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Actually looks like Synergen has a good add pack.

What does KIA say about the factory fill, as far as how long to leave it in? 5000 miles? Seems you were determined to flush out the factory goodies!

It has a nice additive pack but it also uses that proprietory Synergyn Synergyn Additive in the formulation with the other base oils . I wish I knew more but they are very tight lipped about their stuff and I don't blame them .I do know that stuff is reported to just about eliminate bore polishing .

Breaking in knocked the fire out of the magnesium , it's gone ! Much Moly uptake and zinc/phos depleted . TBN still high though .

Kia evidently thinks it's ok to run the factory fill to 5k because they do not say not to and since that factory oil could have been ran at temps above what they actually require for warranty I wanted a look at the VI becasuse I don't believe they take the superior basestocks available into consideration when they throw out that 40 & 50wt gas mileage killing mumbo jumbo .
tongue.gif
It makes 104hp and I want it all not just 98 hp and thick oil to satisfy them .

Schmoe ,
I dumped the oil on 6-2-04 to be safe while it was new and did not know what the wear metals looked like and ran Citgo 10w-30 Ultra Life on a 1023 mile trip to and through the Ozarks then dumped it " sent in a sample " on 6-9-04 and am now using the Motul 10w-40 M/C Oil because of waste not/want not and it was the last 4 quarts I had and wanted to use it up this summer while it was warm enough and towing my bike to California for some fun ect . I'll spin a filter mid point and run that oil till Fall , sample then go back to the Synergyn oil . I'll be through with the car by then , giving it to my Daughter to help get her through College .

An early graduation gift I guess .

Your alright dude!!!!! I got about 18 years before my daughter hopefully goes to college and will probably do something like that too. Well, wait....no....I will be doing something like that. 6 months old and already a Daddy's girl!!!

SSDude

Yeah these 1.5 " pre 2003" and 1.6 " post 2002 " engines are a fairly pure design and a 2700 mile analysis/interval starting at 4k miles showed the 1.5 engine in my Wifes 02 Cinco w/ automatic trans work commuter was run in and sealing well early in life a couple years back and they also can make substancially better Hiway MPG than that EPA estimate sticker in the right conditions .

I see where I was a month ahead of myself in drain dates ...should be May not June but hey , this is 2003 still right ? Thats what I write on my checks most the time still
smile.gif

[ May 19, 2004, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back