04 Honda Pilot, 3.5L V-6, Mobil 1 5W20 7,860 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the numbers from my first oil analysis.
2004 Honda Pilot 66K miles.
7,860 miles on this oil change.
Mobil 1 5W20 Extended Performance used.

Aluminum 7
Chromium 1
Iron 12
Copper 14
Lead 1
Tin 0
Molybdenum 94
Nickel 0
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 2
Boron 40
Silicon 6
Sodium 9
Calcium 1453
Magnesium 16
Phosphorus 565
Zinc 756
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity at 210F 54.2
cSt Viscosity @ 100C 8.55
Flashpoint in F 400
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0
Water 0.0
Insolubules % 0.4
TBN 3.4

Blackstone Comments:
Universal averages show typical wear levels for a Honda 3.5L after about 6,000 miles on the oil.
This oil was in use a little longer than that and this engine didn't even notice. Wear metals read at or better
than average across the board. The oil was in good shape physically with a normal viscosity, and no traces
of fuel, water, or antifreeze were found. Silicon and insolubles both read low showing good air and oil
filtration. The TBN read 3.4, indicating plenty of active additives remained in the oil. A TBN reading of less
than 1.0 is too low. Try 10,000 miles and check back.

So what do the pros here have to say?

I think I waisted good oil this time by changing at 7,800 miles. I think maybe next time I might run it until around 11K or 12K miles.

Ideas?

For 31 years I have run M1 oils for 10,000+ mile OCIs with never a problem. Now with the EP version I did a UOA last year on my Focus at 9700 miles and I had TBN of 3.7 and could have gone much further on the OC. You shouldn't have a problem either.

10,000 miles seems like a more reasonable step to me, but you have to be happy with the results, and obviously the value of the M1 EP.

Looks like a new formulation. This is the second M1 5w20 UOA that showed Ca @ < 1,500ppm.

Looks good though. I would try 12k and re-sample

No,man. You dumped it at the right time. 8K max oci. It ain't the oil: It's what's in the oil you want to dump.

I forgot to mention this was using a Fram filter. I know I will catch some criticism for that but I had one left. I have now switched to Napa (Wix) brand filters.

What a great oil!

Originally Posted By: budrow79
I forgot to mention this was using a Fram filter. I know I will catch some criticism for that but I had one left. I have now switched to Napa (Wix) brand filters.

What a great oil!

I would not use a Fram for more than 3000 mile OCI. Good move to a better filter for a long OCI.

I would be happy with that report if it were my Honda v6. Could you push it further? Sure. Should you? I wouldn't.

Originally Posted By: budrow79

I think I waisted good oil this time by changing at 7,800 miles. I think maybe next time I might run it until around 11K or 12K miles.

Ideas?

Don't go that long! Insolubles are already at 0.4. You did the right thing by dumping it when you did. Once you get the insolubles down, then run it longer. Until then, 8K is max.

The only issues I'm aware of with Honda V6's (I've had 2 of them, the first one Dyson'd a few times) is fuel dilution. The fix is plugs @50k, regular air filter and PCV checks. My climate is pretty much arctic 3-4 months a year and cold for 2 more, and did quite well through these winters on PZYB and 5k OCIs. It should be easier in SoCal.

If I were you I'd be trying 6500 mile OCI's on PZYB. I bet it would do just as well in your climate and be half the price per OCI. I'd like to see a UOA on your Pilot with this approach, and how far you could go after that.

+1 on the early plug change on Honda V6. I changed the oem platinums on my 02 v6 Accord at 90k. 2 rear bank plugs seemed to be too tight and my car ran better on the replacement platinums. 6 yr. max for me on replaceing plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back