'04 Honda Element 215k high potassium

'04 Honda Element LX MT with 215k miles. I changed the oil after purchase at 210k and had a blackstone analysis done, which showed excessive potassium (122ppm) vs. the 2 it should have been. (Also showed iron at 10 ppm (s/b 9), alu at 5 ppm, and magnesium, phosphorous and zinc at elevated levels).

Element blackstone.jpg

I've just changed the oil again, after 5k miles. I've only had to add maybe 2 pints of coolant, though when I checked at the oil change it was below MIN in the exp tank. No overheating episodes in those miles. No milkshake in the oil fill cap, and no froth or residue in the oil from the sump, even after sitting overnight. I am not burning oil, didn't have to add any since the oil change. There's no smoke from the tailpipe. I am going to check compression next.

With an engine this old, and since K24s are plentiful, I'm planning on running this one until it pops. But I don't want to have the HG go unexpectedly while on a road trip either.

Should I be concerned about my HG, or is there another place that I can lose a small but steady amount of coolant into the oil, without totally fouling it?

I just recently had my HG replaced on an 03 Civic 1.7L after Blackstone flagged coolant in the oil. Mechanic confirmed before moving forward with job. My UOA was just posted yesterday, it should be on the first page still. Have you checked the compression yet? From what I understand, if the leak is new and small enough, a compression test may not catch it out.

Bad luck on the HG, K24 is a normally bulletproof engine. Maybe abused a little. I wouldn't worry about the iron too much until after you get the HG fixed.

Oil was maxlife full synth.

I've just gotten a report based on the most recent oil change (this time Castrol). This shows much reduced, but not eliminated potassium levels. I'm going to keep an eye on coolant levels but not worry too much at this point. I'll check compression when I adjust the valves.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and insights.

Blackstone 215k miles.jpg

The Castrol uoa looks better than the Valvoline one. Is this Edge HM or the synthetic blend HM?

Back