03 tj oil and filter type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok this is what im looking for out of my oil and filter. Hope yall can tell me if im crazy or not.
Specs: 03 tj I6 5spd 31*1050*15 3.07
Currently: 12.3k 1st 3 changes with crap dino(@2500mi) 4th with Amsoil 7500 10w30/fram x2 @4800mi-still in there-waitin for sug. for 5th
Driving: 200-275mi wk, mostly city, 1-2 long trips 1k-1.5k Fl and Va. Mild offroading 1-2 year
Expcetations: I want an oil that 1st; protects/ longevity 2nd; small increase of mpg (1-2mpg??)and hp
Long term plans: get 200k+ out of engine; add supercharger
Alright, get all that? Anything I missed? Sorry about this being so long....but thought I'd quit messin around in the jeep forums and go to 'the oil guys.' Awesome site, I'm finding out here tho, the more I read, the less I know. Thanks for the suggestions.

Knew I'd forget something. I am new to snyth., if it protects/+mpg better then I'll be all for it. Also I'd like to extend my changes to 5-7500mi. Being a auto tech, I still can't get my head around a LONG drain(25k+).

First off, I'd suggest switching to a 40-weight, and second, dealing with 40-weights, and since you don't mind paying a little more for synthetics, I recommend a 5w-40...Mobil Delvac1, Mobil1 5w-40, Rotella-T 5w-40, Redline 5w-40 (in no particular order).

Second, make sure to run high-quality oil and air filters.

With any of the oils I mentioned, you can achieve a 7500 mile change interval, but I really don't believe any one will offer any better protection in comparison to a HDEO 15w-40, but could quite possibly give you a small increase in fuel economy.

[ February 26, 2004, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

Originally posted by bigred:
greaser, what filter do you run? oversize?

Right now I'm using the WIX SportTruck filter #51515ST on the TJ and a Mobil-301 on the XJ.Also like Purolater Premium Plus #L30001 in a pinch or the good ole'Napa Gold 51515.These are all Ford 302/351 V8 filters have the same by-pass settings as the regular Jeep filters but are longer and cheaper to purchase
grin.gif

I don't think you should run a 40 weight in a low mileage 4.0...it's not going to do anything but lower your gas mileage. My cherokee's 4.0 had 10w30 for the last 200,000 miles and still runs like new. I use the pure one oversized filter, PL30001. Fits like it was designed to go there.
cheers.gif

Yep, we all know these things will run forever on 10w30. No disputing that. I will say I've noticed no change in fuel mileage switching from 10w30 to 5w40 in my Jeep, and it is quieter too. Have to wait on a UOA to say its doing any good though.

My '88 Jeep actually recommends a 20w50 in temps over 32 F!

Recommended from 0 F on up is 10w30 or 10w40.

Can't go wrong with a 10w30, but my gut feel to date is this engine actually likes the xw40 oils.

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
Yep, we all know these things will run forever on 10w30. No disputing that. I will say I've noticed no change in fuel mileage switching from 10w30 to 5w40 in my Jeep, and it is quieter too. Have to wait on a UOA to say its doing any good though.

My '88 Jeep actually recommends a 20w50 in temps over 32 F!

Recommended from 0 F on up is 10w30 or 10w40.

Can't go wrong with a 10w30, but my gut feel to date is this engine actually likes the xw40 oils.

Don't get me wrong, I still think a 40 weight is great in this engine. That's what I use, however, I've also got 200,000 miles. I'm guessing with an '88 you have quite a bit of mileage as well. For a brand new engine, I still think it would be best to use a 30 weight for the first ~100,000 miles. It may not be a noticeable increase in gas mileage, but over the period of 100,000 miles, even 0.1mpg is alot.

Ok made my decision(for now)I FINALLY found the Fleetguard LF3487 and I'm going to use the same Amsoil 10w30(maybe next time the Delvac5w-30/40). OC time really snuck up on me. I do have an analysis kit on the way, but I can't wait for it,to do my OC, 5k on this oil/filter now. What can I put a sample in? This will be my first analysis...any tips? I'm kinda interested to see how this Fram X2 did, and see how my iron numbers rate. I'll post the report when I get it...probably wont be for a month or so
frown.gif

Red! Welcome and hello fellow jeeper.

I just did a 10k 9month Delvac 1 UAO - great stuff

it did much better then Mobil 1

btw-just save a sample of your oil change in some clean container and send it off when the kit comes.

I can't wait to see the next UAO with Delvac since I have the Amsoil bypass running in tandem with the full flow. It should be even better.

Oh ..and think twice about that supercharger. Ask the vendor to find out if you can contact a current user. One of my tech friends has driven three 4.0s with SC and all of them had "issues". The DC no EGR cam overlap modality of NOX control apparently doesn't sit well with SC forced induction. Turbos apparently aren't as bad since they tend to 'contain' the process with the added back pressure that the turbo creates.

[ March 03, 2004, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
I'm guessing with an '88 you have quite a bit of mileage as well.

Actually, I have the grandpa drove on sundays 88 - literally.

I only have 57,000 miles on her.

I recognize the fuel consumpition issue, but it honestly has been no difference for me after switching to 5w40. And yes, I do keep meticulous records of fuel mileage (broken down by month, brand, temps. etc...)
smile.gif

My other point is that while later models have recommended 10w30 (with 5w30 for below 0 F), earlier versions of the same motor recommended heavier oils.

Either will make the motor last forever, but as I said, my gut feel is the xw40 does a better job.

Allen
Do you remember what name SC's your tech friend drove? Im lookin at the kenne bell. So far, haven't seen much (if any) bad press bout them on jeeps. Granted, my wife hears her "clock a tickin likea this", so...the sc will probably be put on hold indefinatly

quote:

Do you remember what name SC's your tech friend drove?

I believe it was Avenger ..which I think is a "went out of business in CA and opened up in CO Rimmer SC". Although Rimmer uses AutoRotor SCs ...the Eaton is what Rimmer used for the 2.5 and the 4.0

quote:

my wife hears her "clock a tickin likea this", so...the sc will probably be put on hold indefinatly

Oh ..you're dreams are history, my friend
lol.gif
Once you have pups ...your life is "on hold" for the next 20 years or so.

My advice .... whatever you want ..DO IT!! You'll never get a chance to express your identity again for a very long time (unless you have VERY DEEP POCKETS).

Clock is ticking. Reminds me of an old story. My wife's friend was in the hospital having just delivered a brother and a sister for their boy. Her husband comes in raving about the great deal he got on a Jeep from a guy he worked with. The guy had to sell it because he and his wife had 3 kids.

Well... I ended up with 5w40 Rotella. Couldn't get anything else in time. Had a hard time explaining to the wife why I paid $12 for the filter and $13/ gal for the oil and $30 for the analysis. I think I've got her on board with the whole syn deal tho. Now to convince her we 'need' the supercharger more than she wants a baby. Any Ideas?
Seeing that Wally did carry the Delvac 15w40, does anyone think they'll get the 5w40? I didn't realize the M1 5/40 was so new, half the trucking/performance shops I called had no idea what I was talking about.
It may just be my imagination, but the 4.0 'seems' to spool up a bit faster with the Rotella. Any in agreement, or just a placebo effect?

A couple of people on this board remarked the same way by saying their engine seemed to "spin" a bit quicker...me being one of them... after putting the Delvac 5W-40 in my Jeep...I say a big YES to a better spinning motor after putting in a HDEO in a gasser
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back