03 Sierra, 163k, 4L60E Trans. Service Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy,

On my 03 GMC Sierra with 163,000 miles I have:

At 70,000 miles, dropped the pan, replaced the filter and 5 qts. Mobil 1 ATF.

At 106,000 miles, did a 100% fluid exchange with Amsoil ATF.

I want the truck to last 300,000 miles plus.

I pull a 3,000 Lb. boat quite a bit, haul truck loads of wood & run it moderately hard.

Which of these should I do?

1) Drain the pan (it has a plug) and add 5 qts. Amsoil ATF?

2) Drop the pan & replace the filter & 5 qts. Amsoil ATF?

3) Do a 100% fluid exchange with Amsoil ATF?

Thanks!

First i wouldn't mess w/ the bolt in the drain pan as i have striped the head of 2 of them on 2 different Silverado's that i have owned! Didn't learn my lesson the 1st time!I have disconnected the supply line to the radiator and attached a old air hose w/ a clamp going to a 5gal bucket, start the truck and start pouring atf in it you will get a complete flush this way w/ little to no mess! I wouldn't drop the pan and change the filter unless i was having problems w/ the tranny! If it isn't broke don't fix it!Just do the fluid exchange as PM!

While I agree that a full exchange is best, I would be satisfied with any of the 3 options. Draining 5 qts and replacing the filter (#2 above) should be fine on Amsoil with only 57K of usage.

On my 4T65E A/T I am able to replace over 7 qts. (of a 10+ qt. system) by dropping the pan. Are you sure that only 5 qts. is coming out?

I believe it's 5 qts. that come out at pan drop.

The shifting isn't perfect, sometimes it holds 3rd gear too long before going into OD, so maybe I should do the 100% fluid exchange?

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I believe it's 5 qts. that come out at pan drop.

The shifting isn't perfect, sometimes it holds 3rd gear too long before going into OD, so maybe I should do the 100% fluid exchange?

I would drop the pan change the filter and do a complete flush via tranny cooler lines as discribed above. You might want to try an Auto-Rx treatment on the tranny for 1000 miles before the fluid change to clean it up in case there might be a little varnish or something in there causing the odd 3-4 shifts. Gm has been know for some odd shift patterns on these trucks.

Oh, also, the tranny fluid smells slightly burnt, so I should aim towards doing the 100% swap out?

You've got 57k on fluid that smells burnt and sees severe service.

That spells complete flush to me. If you have a little arx around and have to order the atf fluid, I'd stick a little in while I was waiting for the new fluid to arrive and drive it gently until it was changed.

So to be sure I got this straight, you have roughly 60k miles on the current fluid?

To me, that is used. Used to the point that the filter should be replaced.

I'd go with #2, assuming that the drain plug is usable. Id then look to drain a quart or two every oil change or every other oil change, to just keep things topped up.

Correct.

Yes, that’s what I figure to do is the 100% flush. The filter has a lot of time on it also, so probably a filter too...

Details keep coming! You need to do an Auto-Rx treatment! Drive conservatively, drop the pan change filter, completely flush the tranny! Did you say in your OP that you were using Amsoil Syn in that rig? You left out some very important details in your OP! @ 57K w/ your severe service you have reached the end even w/ Amsoil in that tranny!

Originally Posted By: jmb106
Details keep coming! You need to do an Auto-Rx treatment! Drive conservatively, drop the pan change filter, completely flush the tranny! Did you say in your OP that you were using Amsoil Syn in that rig? You left out some very important details in your OP! @ 57K w/ your severe service you have reached the end even w/ Amsoil in that tranny!

Yes, I said I was using Amsoil in my OP.
grin2.gif

As others have stated I believe a full flush is in order here. I would say that the biggest thing missing from your plans would be filtration. You could use something as simple as a Magnefine or go with a unit from Racor or Amsoil. I believe in bypass filtration and have been very happy with my setup.

Coupled with Amsoil ATF, a bypass setup could easily get you past 50K with the type of service your truck sees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back