03 Hyundai AT-Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought and swapped my atf (SPIII or SP3) out for some Valvoline ATF (click the link). I know it's not the dealer stuff but they were out and I didn't want to wait cause my fluid was really in dire need of changing. I looked on the net and found this as something that I could buy local and put in my tranny right away. any thoughts on this move. as i am sure this fluid is better than the sludgy murk i had before. i also took it for a drive and WOW what a difference.

Lots of people use Maxlife and seem to have decent results. There is better but it costs more (Amsoil & M1).

Also consider a Magnefine inline filter. You will probably be cleaning out a lot of crud with the new ATF if the old stuff was "sludgy murk". Better for the Magnefine to trap stuff than have it float around.

the tranny has a large and very powerful magnet on the drain plug. I will probably let this fluid run through for 10k miles of so and change it again just to get more gunk out especially since the fluid was fairly cheap $22USD for the whole job.

Hyundai recommends perform a complete flush anytime you replace the fluid. The service manual's procedure is to pull the drain plug (like you did), refill, then disconnect the cooler lines (prior to starting the car) to flush out all of the old fluid.

I use the Amsoil ATF and it shifts much smoother than the dealer fluid. My Amsoil ATF also is like new after 50K on it whereas the dealer stuff already started changing colours at 30K.

I run the Amsoil until 50K and change out... I have 170K on the truck now and it runs like a fine swiss watch.

Good to know that the Valvoline stuff is good too for the SPIII requirement!
thumbsup2.gif

What Car do you have?

ya i did remove the drain plug and i disconnected the cooler line also. Its a 2003 Sonata with the 2.4l which i have to change the timing belt again on(not looking forward to since i have never done it, last time i had it done but i don't have the money to have if done this time)

Brandon, did the old ATF have a brownish tint to it? How long was the stuff in for? It seems SP-III has a habit of getting darker after the 35,000 km/22,000 mile mark under higher heat applications.

I wish I could get hold of Amsoil ATF here. Servicing the transaxle on the Lancer is a PITA, especially with the rather conveniently located filter. I'd love to dump some full synthetic ATF and forget about it for 80,000 km/50,000 miles.

I don't mind it on the truck, since it's very straightforward. But unfortunately, it isn't quite so with other applications.

Originally Posted By: brandontyler65
ya i did remove the drain plug and i disconnected the cooler line also. Its a 2003 Sonata with the 2.4l which i have to change the timing belt again on(not looking forward to since i have never done it, last time i had it done but i don't have the money to have if done this time)

The 2.4's aren't so bad to change, the 2.7 like I have is a biatch. Gotta take off the Power Steering pump & reservoir, the Serpentine belt and tensioner and you have to take out the hydraulic tensioner which needs a special pin to re compress and put back in. Not fun at all...

I have the technical maunal for that engine if you want me to scan and send you some photo's on what the engine looks like with the belt. PM me

Steve
wink.gif

When you change the ATF and notice a big difference, this means you went too far on the ATF. Start a more frequent drain/refill or flush regimen.

Maxlife has changed over the years and has seemed to be getting better with each update. Castrol Import and Pennzoil Multi-vehicle are other excellent locally available universal ATFs.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
When you change the ATF and notice a big difference, this means you went too far on the ATF. Start a more frequent drain/refill or flush regimen.

I disagree... I changed my ATF on time while it was still clean looking and it shifted the same. I dumped it a few thousand miles later for Amsoil ATF and it was like night/day difference, then in 50K I flushed it and put in Amsoil again and it stayed the same.

I also have used Amsoil ATF in my vehicle its a 2003 Hyundai XG350, shifts are improved in the trans and have used this in the power steering unit also for about a year 12k mi on fluid 84k mi on vehicle. Great Results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: S_Walmer
I also have used Amsoil ATF in my vehicle its a 2003 Hyundai XG350, shifts are improved in the trans and have used this in the power steering unit also for about a year 12k mi on fluid 84k mi on vehicle. Great Results.

I used the Amsoil ATF in the power steering unit and it's not as good ad the Amsoil PSF they just came out with. Try it on your next change, you will see what I mean. The steering moves like a hot knife through butta!
grin2.gif

P.s. Plus it goes in red, but after a while turns a greenish/yellow colour which makes troubleshooting leaks easier to determine because it isn't the same colour as Transmission fluid on the floor.
thumbsup2.gif

Well, I live in Phoenix, AZ so it's 100+ *F most of the year. So that is the high heat
crazy2.gif
. And as far as knowing how long the fluid was in there, I dunno, most likely original would be my guess
shocked2.gif
. I have looked at the timing belt and what not and it doesn't look to bad but I have made that mistake before of underestimating the job.

I hear you... I'm saving up now so I can retire in Scottsdale for 8 months of the year at a time. Such a beautiful part of your state and I love that you have sunshine and great temperatures something like 360 days out of the year!
cool.gif
I can't wait to turn 55 and start basking in the sun.

In your Temps you may not even notice a difference between the Amsoil ATF & the Amsoil PSF. So stick with it!

cheers3.gif

Thanks for the advise. I changed the PS fluid right before the Amsoil PS fluid came on the market, Bad timing I guess. I'm also new to the forum.

I changed mine with the ATF first, then the PSF second because it was available and I found out about it through the newsletter I get. I need something a fluid as possible because it gets pretty cold up here in the winter...
grin2.gif

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I hear you... I'm saving up now so I can retire in Scottsdale for 8 months of the year at a time. Such a beautiful part of your state and I love that you have sunshine and great temperatures something like 360 days out of the year!
cool.gif
I can't wait to turn 55 and start basking in the sun.
cheers3.gif

lol well get ready to bake and get into your car when the interior is 120+ and the low at night is 95-100 lol
LOL.gif
welcome2.gif
if you want to know more about the state and area let me know I will give you honest answers

I plan on buying a house with a good A/C system and have the car parked in the garage whenever possible!
grin2.gif

I will take you up on your offer in about 25-30 years!
LOL.gif

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back