03 Honda S2000 Amsoil 0W-30 30,624 mi w/bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my UOA on my 03 Honda S2000. I went 30,624 miles and 9 months on this OCI. I'm using Amsoil SSO along with an Amsoil BMK-13 Dual Remote Bypass Filter and a prelube pump. I used the EaO-15 full-flow filter and the EaBP-90 bypass filter. I replaced the stock air filter with a new stock air filter at the beginning of the year. Most of the miles are highway.

This is my second OCI with over 30K miles, and my setup is working flawlessly.
06-09S2000UOA.jpg

Astounding numbers for 30k run!

If you were to rate the impact of the prelube pump and bypass filters on a scale of 1 - 100 with 100 being the best, where would each one rank?

Originally Posted By: saaber1

If you were to rate the impact of the prelube pump and bypass filters on a scale of 1 - 100 with 100 being the best, where would each one rank?

Thanks. Personally, I'd rank the bypass filter's contribution at around 95%, however I don't think it's as simple as that. The BMK-13 setup has a biasing valve, and theoretically might reduce pressure (and flow) at startup without the pump. I wanted to be absolutely certain that I didn't have any problems with this setup which is why I added the prelube pump.

You have reached the "Promised land" as B/S said. Excellent. Lot of makeup oil but still incredible results. How many quarts does this car hold?

Absolutely great example of what AMSOIL can create in a perfect storm of their best oil combined with their mechanical oiling/filtering products.....but that's not an economy car either; this oil is getting hit.

I don't think that's alot of make-up oil. It seems quite fitting for the overall mileage.

I wouldn't say 1.5 quarts was alot for a 15,000 mile run, so I don't think this is either.

Joe

yeah you're right it's really not a lot considering the mileage.

I'd like to see M1 0w-40 for a comparison. That would be interesting.

30k+ miles in 9 months!! That's a lot of driving. Your UOA may support Dr. Haas' comments about wear and startup since your engine is running quite often, or the low numbers maybe related to the double filter setup. Either way, nice UOA. Does your S2000 burn any oil like other S2000's?

How much extra oil does the bypass filter add, and do you change the bypass filter during the OCI?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slalom44
Originally Posted By: saaber1

Thanks. Personally, I'd rank the bypass filter's contribution at around 95%, however I don't think it's as simple as that. The BMK-13 setup has a biasing valve, and theoretically might reduce pressure (and flow) at startup without the pump. I wanted to be absolutely certain that I didn't have any problems with this setup which is why I added the prelube pump.

Interesting. So the pump is less of a factor. In reading the description of your setup I was thinking the pump was probably the major factor because your engine is never operating (even when cranking over) without oil pressure. I was thinking this might have been the most important factor. Good to know.

Thanks for the compliments.
55.gif

This engine is known to consume some oil. I'm adding 3.5 quarts in 30,000 miles to replace the oil that burns off. That's not bad compared to some S2000s. I'm sure that I can get longer OCIs, but for now I'm going to stick with 30,000 mile OCIs.

This setup takes 7.5 quarts to fill up. The stock setup takes around 5.5 quarts. So the extra filters and plumbing gives me two extra quarts of capacity. I replace both the full-flow and bypass filters with the oil change, so they are running the whole 30,000 miles as well.

Since I installed this setup with less than 6000 miles on the engine, I think it's already paid for itself. Now I'm spending less on oil manintenance than most and IMO my engine should last longer.

Fantastic. Even the tricked-out batmobile would be envious of your setup.

Wish my Toyota dealer had pushed a bypass filter and prelube pump option instead of trying to sell an $1,100 extended warranty. But then, I suppose, they'd be cutting off a lucrative business for themselves: customers bringing in their cars for regular oil and filter changes.

Last edited:
Unbelievable UOA Slalom. I don't know how you can drive your car so much though. After 4 hours of driving, there better be a chiropractor nearby for me. Do you have any techniques for keeping your legs from hurting?

Originally Posted By: blackdiamond
I'm wondering how it's possible for a 30,000 mile OCI to yield less Fe than the Toyota Tundra engine.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1549291#Post1549291

The Tundra V8 is known for showing minimal wear so...

Should we expect that there is actually more Fe wear, but the filters are collecting it? If so, the filters are working great, but wouldn't it be difficult to see any wear trends?

from what i gather, the filtration capacity in this vehicle has multiplied in addition to the crankcase oil capacity. this suggests that any wear particles have been diluted greatly in the oil combined with much greater filtration. these points lead me to believe that this uoa is relatively worthless when held up against other uoas from vehicles with stock oil capacities. here's the salt shaker, use liberally

Originally Posted By: element_42
blackdiamond said:
....these points lead me to believe that this uoa is relatively worthless when held up against other uoas from vehicles with stock oil capacities....

You make a point if you are strictly comparing the volume of wear metals in different vehicles. But it's definitely not "worthless" comparing how the oil is holding up in the engine for long OCIs.

There was a thread years ago on JeepsUnlimited.com by a guy that compared various filters in an elaborate experiment, and sent the oil to several places for analysis. He then popped on a bypass filter to his setup without changing the oil, ran it a relatively short time and sent another sample.

The results? The oil from the bypass filter test was much cleaner than all of the other tests. That meant that many particulates, including iron were getting trapped in the bypass filter. It also significantly reduced silicon levels.

That convinced me that the ppm of iron on the UOA is less than the total ppm of iron generated over the OCI. You can't really measure wear through a UOA when using a bypass. Furthermore, the F20C engine in the S2000 has FRM cylinders, not cast iron and the block & head are aluminum, not cast iron. The prelube pump helps too. The true proof will come when I see how many miles I put on this engine.
cool.gif

slalom, oh you'll get plenty of miles out of that engine with a stock sump, let alone a full bypass system. F20C is a nice engine, much prefer it over the F22C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back