03 Honda S2000 Amsoil 0W-30 30,624 mi w/bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slalom44
Originally Posted By: element_42
blackdiamond said:
....these points lead me to believe that this uoa is relatively worthless when held up against other uoas from vehicles with stock oil capacities....

You make a point if you are strictly comparing the volume of wear metals in different vehicles. But it's definitely not "worthless" comparing how the oil is holding up in the engine for long OCIs.

There was a thread years ago on JeepsUnlimited.com by a guy that compared various filters in an elaborate experiment, and sent the oil to several places for analysis. He then popped on a bypass filter to his setup without changing the oil, ran it a relatively short time and sent another sample.

The results? The oil from the bypass filter test was much cleaner than all of the other tests. That meant that many particulates, including iron were getting trapped in the bypass filter. It also significantly reduced silicon levels.

That convinced me that the ppm of iron on the UOA is less than the total ppm of iron generated over the OCI. You can't really measure wear through a UOA when using a bypass. Furthermore, the F20C engine in the S2000 has FRM cylinders, not cast iron and the block & head are aluminum, not cast iron. The prelube pump helps too. The true proof will come when I see how many miles I put on this engine.
cool.gif

That was Frank. DalessII ..great researcher. His labs were aerospace types. They knew how to reduce all metals to the particle levels. His readings, iirc, were in the 1000's of PPM due to larger chunks ..that would normally not be read, being totally readable. The bypass reduced the mass by 40%, iirc.

He's fallen off the radar. I imagine he's too busy making a living.

Excellent UOA I do wounder why you had to add so much make up oil though??? Maybe try Amsoil S3K 5W30 and see if you can get that consumption under control. That is my only complaint though!

Originally Posted By: element_42

from what i gather, the filtration capacity in this vehicle has multiplied in addition to the crankcase oil capacity. this suggests that any wear particles have been diluted greatly in the oil combined with much greater filtration. these points lead me to believe that this uoa is relatively worthless when held up against other uoas from vehicles with stock oil capacities. here's the salt shaker, use liberally

Well, first let's determine if you're going to say in another thread that "UOA's are worthless in determining any kind of wear level". If you're not ever going to say that, then the salt shaker can be liberally applied.

If, on the other hand, you don't consider it an accurate measure of wear, then you have to be ignoring the condition of the oil at time of changing.

This shows he has no problems showing up over 30k. FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back