'03 Honda Pilot with 188000 miles! What now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya all...new here and wanted to let u know what a great thing u guys have with this site. Let me throw this out at everyone. I know the milage sounds crazy for the model but its true. Thats 60K/year!
What do i do? Continue with M1 or change to dino/blend and which one in what grade/group? Engine in good shape, driving is mostly short trips now (day) and I live in the DC area.
Thanx a million and i can't wait 2 hear your comments!

I was concerned with whether i was spending too much on oil or using the right kind/blend for the mileage. I've been reading so much all over this forum that i get the impression that synthetic oil may not be "all that" especially with regards price/engine protection. I've seen praise rained on many other cheaper oils and uoa's of dino/blends that are up there with M1 like MC, Rotella, Castrol and Havoline to name a few.

Wow. How often have you been changing the ATF?

For oil, continue with M1 every 7500 miles or so.

Havent changed the ATF as often as i should. last change done after 50K. so u think M1 is still the way to go?

If it has been working for you, stick with it. Just change every six months. I'm assuming that you'll be putting < 15k/yr on this now?

So, you've only replaced the ATF once in 188k miles, at the 50k mark? How about the VTM-4 fluid?

So much for the transmission maintenance people...
wink.gif

Thats right. ATF changed once so far. Oops! Didn't even know that there was a VTM-4 fluid change. Please elaborate.

owned the car since new? I would keep doing what your doing. now if driving at least 10 miles at each start up. dino 5k oci. not against syn, but at that mileage..I wouldn't feel comfortable. I would auto-rx if you HAD to use syn

Quote:

If it has been working for you, stick with it. Just change every six months. I'm assuming that you'll be putting < 15k/yr on this now?

So, you've only replaced the ATF once in 188k miles, at the 50k mark? How about the VTM-4 fluid?

So much for the transmission maintenance people...
wink.gif

Those are all freeway miles so there is little or no strain on the tranny. If there is a dip stick check it and if it looks good no need to worry.

Quote:

Why change? At about 10 miles a day, you will still rack up 36k a year. Maybe a move to M1EP, and 15k changes/6 months?

If no one else has said it, check your math, that's 3650 miles/year
wink.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Why change? At about 10 miles a day, you will still rack up 36k a year. Maybe a move to M1EP, and 15k changes/6 months?

If no one else has said it, check your math, that's 3650 miles/year
wink.gif

If you want to be picky it's 3652.5
wink.gif

You have been using the oil with good success. Granted, you must have done mostly highway driving, which is the easiest type, but you can be sure that M1 has certainly been extremely useful in keeping your engine operating cleanly and smoothly.

I would run some UOA with the oil tht you have been using, and use dyson analysis to determine how much you can extend your oil change interval. This will give you the best insight on what to do from there.

Does your engine consume any oil? leak any oil? how much do you need to make-up between oil changes? what is your typical change interval. If other than mileage, the vehicle is 'good as new', Id make any repairs/PM necesary and keep using it!

Seriously, with all that (easy) highway mileage, the thing is probably as good as new, other than bugs and rock chips on the front.

Definitely do ATF service with HONDA FLUID!!!

JMH

DOH, no edit function...

M1 has been extremely useful in my mother's 97 plymouth breeze, that sees severe service with extremely short trips. Wear is definitely lower with M1 than with dino in there as there was previously. It really seems to shine in short trip applications, to actually get decent OCIs (we still do >7000 miles including various highway driving), etc. So I think you still have a winner...

JMH

Quote:

10 miles/day x 7 days x 365 days/year = 25 550 miles !!!

Ok, 10 miles a day times 7 days a week = 70 miles.

70 miles a week times 52 weeks in a year will get you 3640 miles total.

FAR from 25k or 36k.

Now do 100 miles a day you'll see 36k a year IF you drove every day of the year.

Got to make sure that new math does not sneak in here...
grin.gif

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

I don't have much to add other than I'm amazed at the miles for an 03.

I'm also amazed at the math skills of several of our members:)

Quote:

DOH, no edit function...

M1 has been extremely useful in my mother's 97 plymouth breeze, that sees severe service with extremely short trips. Wear is definitely lower with M1 than with dino in there as there was previously. It really seems to shine in short trip applications, to actually get decent OCIs (we still do >7000 miles including various highway driving), etc. So I think you still have a winner...

JMH

Can we please see the UOAs on your lower wear from using M1 over Dino on her car?

I've done UOAs with Dino and M1 and the dino had lower wear on the same OCI.

I've even posted those UOAs here on the board.

I must have missed yours..

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back