'03 Honda Accord R.R. link removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Any tips as to how I can remove the link with basic tools? Sprayed w/PB now the studs just turns along with the nut.

tia

You suppose to secure the center bolt with a 5 or 5.5 mm hex key while turning the nut with a wrench.

My ususal trick as follows (assuming you haven't cause jamming of the nut due to accumulated debris on the threads and/or slight seizure)...

(a) get a small wire brush, brush off all the rust and debris off the tread as thoroughly as possible.

(b) soak where the nut meets the thread with PB blaster or kroil, repeat this process a few times during a few hours of waiting.

(c) carefully, undo the nut and if you feel slight resistance, back off (reverse wrench direction) and then spray some lube...

With care, you should, 7times out of 10, be able to undo the nut w/ ease. about 3 out of time due to some sort of rust or seizure, drastic measures will have to be sort (like lock plier + hack saw, etc.)

Q.

if they're as bad as the ones I have to deal with, here's your answer
Oxy-AcetyleneCutter.jpg

I'm in the middle of this project on the front sway bar links on an 04 civic. The Allen hole is stripped out and my new HF vice grips just slip on the back side.

I don't have heat, or access to power tools.

It's making me really grouchy.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
I'm in the middle of this project on the front sway bar links on an 04 civic. The Allen hole is stripped out and my new HF vice grips just slip on the back side.

I don't have heat, or access to power tools.

It's making me really grouchy.

Weld a bolt to it and back it out

I ended up cutting off the nut with an angle grinder when I replaced them.

You should be able to pop the link off the joint, then grip onto the ball with the vice grips.

I replaced them on my daughter's 1999 Accord and the studs have a ball end encased in plastic in the link. I pried the stud out of the link and held it with vice grips as best as I can recollect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back