03 f150 5.4l and best oil to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice truck! I think the usual Mobil 1/ Amsoil does well in this engine. I'd use Mobil 1 10w-30 probably.

what bout havoline or exxon synthetic oils......anyone have some real time useage in the ford 5.4l....i was kinda think as far as grade wise 0w40 or 5w40.....possibly 5w30.....is 10w30 alot better to use in it.....im at 4k miles....

The 10w-30 is the most sheer stable of all the mobil 1's and covers the temps we get in North Carolina very well. I know we have seen lots of ford trucks using this oil.

Mobil is comming out with a SUV oil that will be most likely similar to Delvac 1 which is a 5w-40.

I have been using Penzoil 5w20 in my 5.4 with excellent results. It is whisper quiet, smooth, and cranks right over in cold weather. Granted your 5.4 is a three valve per cylinder design versus my two valve, but I believe the rest of the engine is of the same design. By the way nice truck! I have been EXTREMELY pleased with my F250 and I think you will be with your F150 also.

While the truck is still within the warranty period I would say Motorcraft 5w-20, Pennzoil 5w-20 or Chevron Supreme/Havoline 5w-20. So far all those have shown very good results in UOA. They even seem to show good results in engines not calling for 5w-20.

Give a look in the UOA forum and check the results and comments. I honestly can't recall seeing a bad 5w-20 report from any of those brands.

Mikep

is there any uoa that are good w/ over 150k miles.....thats my curiousity....im looking at the long haul...if the 5w20 will kepp an engine humming along at 150k plus.....ill be sold.....

I'm using Chevron 5W20 in my 97 with the 4.6L. I've got 90k on the odometer. I'm going to do a UOA in about 2,000 miles. I'll post the results when I get them.

So far I'm noticing a lot smoother, quieter idle than with the Mobil1 5W30. But it could just be my imagination. All the Ford Dealer's here are using the Motorcraft 5W20 for all 4.6l and 5.4L regardless of year. So thought I might try one with the good dose of moly. Just switched out to the Chevron from Pennzoil. Will probably use either of those brands.

John

quote:

Originally posted by crimsontide:
is there any uoa that are good w/ over 150k miles.....thats my curiousity....im looking at the long haul...if the 5w20 will kepp an engine humming along at 150k plus.....ill be sold.....

Best thing you could do is have a UOA done and see how it has been working thus far. IMO, for the cost of a Quickie Lube change a UOA is money well spent!

Based on results here I'd say it'll probably be fine into the higher mileage arena but a UOA will let you know for sure how it has done up till now. Once the vehicles gets up there in miles you can always switch to a heavier weight oil if needed.

Mikep

I've said it and say it again. After trying many oils in my Ford modular engine, Amsoil S2000 0W-30 is the best oil I had in there so far by a long shot.

quote:

Originally posted by crimsontide:
what oil works the best in the 5.4l ford engines??

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
I've said it and say it again. After trying many oils in my Ford modular engine, Amsoil S2000 0W-30 is the best oil I had in there so far by a long shot.

Based on what?

I don't disagree that Amsoil 0w-30 is an excellent motor oil, but when I had it in my '01 4.6 ltr. cold morning starts were like fingernails on a blackboard. Also, since I'm not extending past 5,000 miles I felt I was throwing money down into the waste oil container.

Mikep

Supposedly 40W's are not as effective on on the OHC Modular motors as the 20 and 30 wts when it comes to get to the top end. Just from what I've learned on this board over the past 2 years. But I have no personal experience with a 40W. Was actually thinking of Delvac 1 but was cautioned against it.

John

Tide,
Are you still under warranty?
Did I read you right,4000 miles total on truck?
Does Ford recommend 5w-20 for this engine?
IF these questions are yes:
Motorcraft 5w-20
Pennzoil 5w-20
Amsoil 5w-20
Royal Purple 5w-20 (royalpurple.com/prodsa/rpmoa.html)
Does Redline make an API 5w-20?
Just my opinion,never ran a 5.4L

Mark

yea im under warrenty.........4k miles.....im just not sold on the 5w20.......the local ford owner is a family friend and he doesnt run the 5w20 in his........i ran 15w40 in my jeep wrangler sahara....150k plus miles no problems...5w20 just scares the heck out of me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back