03 f150 5.4l and best oil to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by mikep:

Based on what?

I don't disagree that Amsoil 0w-30 is an excellent motor oil, but when I had it in my '01 4.6 ltr. cold morning starts were like fingernails on a blackboard. Also, since I'm not extending past 5,000 miles I felt I was throwing money down into the waste oil container.

Mikep [/QB]

Buster noted that when he used the Amsoil 0/30 his Toyota motor was louder by far over the other oils he used to include the Mobil Supersyn 0/20 .

I would use a Ford spec oil while under warranty and worry about what oil to use in 3 years from now . You rear is covered in terms of warranty and new oils will be available .

Hmmmm. The Shell with the EOP basestock
smile.gif

IMO for what its worth: my 98 5.4 works ok with the havoline synthetics but it is not overjoyed by them. It LOVES amsoil asl 5w30...noticibly perkier. I would reccomend the asl 5w30 amsoil.

I've had great success running Amsoil Series 2000 0w30 at extended intervals both with regular filtration and by-pass filtration.

BTW I have a 97F150 4.6L. First run on amsoil was about 10,000 miles with normal filtration.

Hope this helps.

FWIW, I'm running Havoline 5w20 in my '99 F150 with the 4.6 with 95,000 miles on the odometer at the moment. The 4.6 and 5.4 are nearly identical, the only difference being the longer stroke (and increased block size as a result) on the 5.4. My current run will be run out to 6000+ miles on a Group II/III blend, despite all the doubters out there.

From the UOA's I've seen on this series motors there is no compelling reason to use an xw40 oil unless you are battling a consumption issue or like decreased fuel mileage. They provide absolutely no better wear numbers than a 5w30 or a 5w20 in these motors.

My '97 F150, which I sold in August, had 163,000 miles on it, and didn't leak or burn a drop of oil. Nearly all of that was on 5w30, the end was on 5w20 with NO issues, including consumption.

If it were me, I'd at least run it on 5w20 through the warranty and reevaluate at that point.

Go to: Search Page
Search Forum: Used Oil Analysis - Gas Engines
Search In: Subject only
Type in 5w-20
After you read all of those,search the Virgin Oil Analysis Samples .
Lotsa good info to keep you amused for a while.

I have most of 'em memorized verbatim.
Mark

Based on:
- The only oil (tried also four others >> M1, Pennzoil, GTX and SuperTech) that did not cause the cold start up clatter these engines are known for
- The only oil with almost zero oil consumption (M1 10W-30 was the worst with over 1 qt./1K mls.!)
- A very smooth and quiet running engine
- Let's see the UOA when I get it.

My recommendation is S2K with LC for these motors. I believe they like a thin oil much better than a thicker viscosity. Fords change to recommending 5W-20 was not a design change, but only a viscosity recommendation change and retroactive to all modular engines from 1994 on.

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
I've said it and say it again. After trying many oils in my Ford modular engine, Amsoil S2000 0W-30 is the best oil I had in there so far by a long shot.

Based on what?

I don't disagree that Amsoil 0w-30 is an excellent motor oil, but when I had it in my '01 4.6 ltr. cold morning starts were like fingernails on a blackboard. Also, since I'm not extending past 5,000 miles I felt I was throwing money down into the waste oil container.

Mikep

Well, to just throw a little gasoline on the fire I can say that using the Motorcraft 5W-20 oil has suited my 4.6l Ford engine and wallet fine so far. I've had nothing but QUIET starts and running, whether summer or subzero winter temps. Even with minor towing in the summer. The one UOA I had done showed very good wear #'s. The advantage of using Motorcraft 5W-20, or another semisyn/dino 5W-20 is that if you don't travel the miles in a time period you can still dump/change the oil without feeling bad for wasting expensive oil. Or if you drive the 5,000 miles in 6 or so months you got the most out of the oil without wasting $$$$. Of course if you're out of warranty and want a true synthetic and longer OIC's then there are other oils that can satisfy you. Just check this site
smile.gif
. It's a big oil world out there, good luck
wink.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back