'03 Corolla transaxle

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother-in-law has imported Automatic '03 Corolla (about 60k miles) from the US to Ukraine. This engine/transaxle combination is pretty uncommon over there, and he keeps asking questions that I try to find answers for. My nearest auto shop did not have repair manual for this model, so I have to ask it here. Indeed, the matter is urgent as the guy is itching to pull out every plug he can find there.
smile.gif

I have not looked under any Corolla yet, but it seems like its transaxle has the oil pan that can be removed. At least BIL insists that he saw the pan. My car's A/T does not have a pan, so my questions are:

1. Is this true and the pan can be dropped?
2. Is there a serviceable filter?
3. Is there a real gasket or what kind of a sealant should be used for the A/T pan?
4. The owner's manual gives some miniscule amount for the A/T capacity- something like 3-4qts of Type IV as far as I can remember. How much fluid comes out with a simple drain? And with the pan drop?
5. Besides dropping the pan and servicing the filter, what else could be done to the A/T to make sure it has been taken care of?

Thank you all!

[ July 10, 2006, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: yugrus ]

When simply dropping the pank, only half of the fluid is changed. The transaxle will hold about twice as much fluid, total. That's why only 3-4 qts. are recommended.
Silicone RTV is a great sealer. Clean everything thoroughly, and let it cure, before refilling.

It should have a drainplug. Use it regularly like once or twice a year.
Use the T-IV or a multivehicle fluid(blend or full synth).

There are ATF filters and they should be serviced every ~100k miles. A quality filter kit will include the filter and pan gasket so no RTV is needed.

An aftermarket filter can be added inline with the ATF cooler hoses for better filtering. And, if vehicle is abused or driven aggressively, an ATF cooler will help with transmission longevity.

1.Yes, the trans pan can be dropped.
2.Yes it has a replacable filter
3.Yes there is a regular gasket available
4. about 4 qts on a pan drain, total capacity is about 9 qts
5. to do a complete fluid exchange take the transmission cooler hose off the left (passenger)side of the radiator after replacing the filter & fluid in the pan. place this hose into a 2 liter pop bottle & have someone start the engine & shut it off when the bottle is full. add 2 qts fresh fluid thru the dipstick tube & repeat this until the fluid you get out is the same color as the new stuff, plan on using 10-12 qts to get this done. replace hose with a new clamp then shift thru all the gears, top off fluid & check level with engine running in park. about a 15 min job, big improvement in shifting.

Thank you very much guys!
BIL has already bought filter+gasket kit and some T-IV, for a total of ~$150
confused.gif
But that's what it costs there.
He mentioned he wasn't sure about ATF he bought. The fluid in the bottles was red, and the fluid on his dipstick was yellow
confused.gif

I suggested to change ATF right away because his old fluid is pretty worn out (yellow ~ brown...)
But now I'm thinking, was I right? I have never seen T-IV fluid, what color is it? Same red as Dex-III or yellow? Did he get a right one? Although the bottle might say T-IV, you never know over there...

Toyota T-IV fluid is the recommended fluid. The color should be red, not yellow.

Between 3.5-4 quarts is needed for a pan drop/filter change. Yes, the pan has a drain plug, but the filter should still be changed periodically. The newer U series Toyota AW units have media filters.

It may be worthwhile for you to mail him the correct filter kit and fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back