03 Corolla blower motor not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friends girlfriend just called him and says she went to turn on her a/c today and the fan seemed to not blow out any air (hot or cold). I am not familiar with corollas and being at work I am unable to look at it beyond what she is relaying to him over the phone. If I remember the 05+ tacomas sometimes have this issue and it's caused by a bab resistor in the climate controls. She also stated that it was intermittent at first and now it simply does nothing. Any ideas would be awesome. Thanks

Check the blower fuse. If it's ok then check for power at the blower motor.

If the fuse is ok but no power at the blower motor then check the AC control unit.

If it's getting power at the blower motor pull it out and see if something is wedged in there. If not replace the blower motor.

how many miles are on the COROLLA ? I know these cars are highly sought out by mice and chipmunks . Wonder if one made a nest or has a stash of food in the blower ? I've had to fish out many things or replace the blower due to critters . These cars were a '03 MATRIX , '99 COROLLA , '99 PRIZM , and a '07 PRIUS . Thankfully the PRIUS had a cabin filter . I strongly suggest getting a cabin filter for the COROLLA for this reason . There may be so much junk stored in the blower that it can't move or the motor burns out from the weight . This was the case for one the TOYOTAs we had . TOYOTAs seem to have easy access for critters . I think it has something to do with drainage .

Last edited:
She said its right at 170K. I wish I were there so I could test the blower motor etc, unfortunately it will have to wait till I get off tomorrow morning. I mainly was curious if this was a common problem with this year corolla. Im relying on a girl who knows nothing about a car other than she puts the key in the ignition thingy as she calls it and it starts.
crazy2.gif
I will take a look at it tomorrow and run some tests. Thanks for the ideas all!

Also aksed her to check the blower fuse and she sounded so confused I just gave up. It was hard enough getting this small amount of info.

Last edited:
most likely the blower motor being in hot climate and the high mileage . The blower in the '99 COROLLA was very easy to remove . Would think be the same for the '03 . If I remember right will need to take out glove box for easier access . Then there's a about 3 to 4 small screws to remove in bottom of housing for blower . Will see if I can find online directions . Is a bit like playing a game of twister to get to it . :- )

Check for power at the motor. Fuse, obviously can be a problem.
The connector at the blower motor and/or the resistor pack itself are common problems.
Hot wire the motor to see if it is OK.
There isn't much there.

Does anyone know if the blower motor in a 2006 Corolla is simple to replace? This one intermittently refuses to work on any speed setting. I took out the glove compartment which allowed me to remove the filter above the fan. I found that if I reached in to the slot I could feel the fan blades. When it does not start and I move the blades with my fingers, I can feel points where it tries to spin and other points where there is no torque, like bad brushes or something. An auto shop replaced the resister block but of course that did not help.
I see two bolts from the glove compartment side and what looks like a connector box below the blower. Don't know how to proceed to remove it.

When my '05 Caravan blower motor resistor went out last winter, it stopped working in ALL speeds. This threw my diagnosis off course because everyone always says it will still work in high speed with a bad resistor.

So, don't overlook this when doing your diagnosis.

Can't see it as the resister since it was replaced by the auto repair shop and if I reach in to the filter slot and spin the fan, it will start running and stay running until it is stopped. Sometimes it will start on it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back