'03 BMW 330xi, 4,887 miles on factory fill BMW (Castrol) HP Syn 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

My thoughts on this:

Pretty good wear numbers considering the engine is going through break-in.

Insolubles are quite low! Suggests to me that the oil filter is excellent. Didn't see any metal shards in it. Probably changed it unnecessarily.

The TBN seems low, not sure if this is due to the Group III Castrol being used up, or maybe it's due to Blackstone's new TBN method.

It seems that the overwhemling majority of these cars go the full (BMW recommended) 15,000 miles before their first oil change, and they have no problems...

So why did I change the oil early? These cars usually develop deposits on the inside of the "710" cap, which is said to occur due to the baffle underneath it: very little oil circulates there to wash the deposits away. I wanted to see if these deposits would continue to build up with M1 0W-40.

Oh, and about the viscosity: it starts out at 66.8 SUS (VOA here), so it's practically unchanged.

Comments welcome and most appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason

Considering this is the factory fill, those numbers look reasonable to me. How long will you go on the second interval? If the TBN is really that low, 15k would really be pushing it too far though.

On second look, I did see a few shiny metal bits in the oil filter, but very small, few and far between. Nothing at all like the factory-fitted oil filter on my SAAB, posted here.

Most likely going 10,000 miles on the M1 0W-40; that's when the computer, which I did not reset, is asking for the next oil change. Perhaps I'll sample at 5K if it isn't too cold in January.

I probably should have waited 'til 7,500 miles to change, and then change every 7,500... I have a lot of M1 0W-40 sitting around doing nothing, and I got impatient
wink.gif

Jason

quote:

Originally posted by quadrun1:

I probably should have waited 'til 7,500 miles to change, and then change every 7,500... I have a lot of M1 0W-40 sitting around doing nothing, and I got impatient
wink.gif

Jason

Hey Jase,

After seeing your last two UOAs with Castrol
5W-30, I wouldn't trust it beyond 5,000 miles.

Not only are BMW engines wimpy, the oil is
sub-standard too
wink.gif

Aren't you glad you drive a Saab?

cheers.gif

Jae

quote:

Originally posted by quadrun1:
Most likely going 10,000 miles on the M1 0W-40; that's when the computer, which I did not reset, is asking for the next oil change. Perhaps I'll sample at 5K if it isn't too cold in January.

wink.gif

Jason

I think it was time to change. I think you did the right thing. I wonder if that TBN is the new or old method??

Something I've noticed: The 3.0L inline-6 is much harder on oil than the 2.5L. I go 8,000 mile intervals on my 325i using BMW Synthetic 5W-30 and a Mann long-life filter, and all the analyses I've seen are excellent.

And just a reminder, the factory fill on all non-M BMW's is Castrol TXT Softec, which is a "Vollsynthese" or full-synthetic Group IV oil.

Just bought a BMW and am curious if you have any updates or later analyses? I am trying to figure out what to do, but I know I don't want to go the 15K miles they want me to between changes.

quote:

Originally posted by vettenuts:
Just bought a BMW and am curious if you have any updates or later analyses? I am trying to figure out what to do, but I know I don't want to go the 15K miles they want me to between changes.

How about doing 7500 mile intervals instead? If they pay for all the 15k intervals, just do one in the middle of each to be safe.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by vettenuts:

How about doing 7500 mile intervals instead? If they pay for all the 15k intervals, just do one in the middle of each to be safe.

I know if my next car is one where they handle all scheduled mx for the first x years/xxxxxx miles, I plan to do my own "in between" oil changes.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

That's exactly what I do, except I've changed it every 5K miles so far (just passed 17K miles), my next oil change is at ~22,500 miles with UOA. Next I plan to run GC in it for 7.5K miles, also with UOA on it.

I've been told that consistency is a good thing and once you find an oil that works good in your car stick with it. What is your take on it, guys?

quote:

Originally posted by F1Crazy:
I've been told that consistency is a good thing and once you find an oil that works good in your car stick with it. What is your take on it, guys?

F1...

I believe you have correctly answered the $64,000 question...now if only, once we find that perfect oil for our engine and driving style, we could keep from being intrigued by something else...
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
F1...

I believe you have correctly answered the $64,000 question...now if only, once we find that perfect oil for our engine and driving style, we could keep from being intrigued by something else...
rolleyes.gif

Ahhhh, the intrigue, maybe there is something better for my baby...now I get it
grin.gif

I can think of at least 6-8 oils I'd like to try in my car
pat.gif

Which oils might those be?
grin.gif

Oils that have my interest for E46/E39 (not in any particular order)

1. GC
2. M1 5W-30
3. M1 0W-40
4. Amsoil 5W-30
5. Redline 5W-30
6. Shell Rotella T Syn 5W-40
7. Delvac 1 5W-40

Trying 1, 2, and 3 now.

I think all except #2 are promoted as "long life" capable. But 3MP's study shows #2 can hang too.

I will run GC and M1 0W-40 for 10K mi, might eventually try Amsoil and D1 for 15K.

[ September 23, 2003, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: quadrun1 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back