'02 VW Golf TDi, filter and oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my buddies has a Ford Escape and a VW Golf. We went to China Mart and he had no idea that Synthetic oil was so cheap. He was used to paying $90 for an oil change at a local shop. He goes 10,000 miles on his Ford and, something similar on his Golf oil change interval.

Now he is asking if we, which means myself, could do it for less.
BTW, All of his and hers miles are highway.

I plan on using Mobil 1 or PP on the Ford.
But I am curious as to what to use on the VW.

The VW is a diesel with NO turbo.
I am leaning towards Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40, or Rotella 5w40. Just cause I have heard good things about them.
Also, since I will be near a NAPA I just plan on using one of their NAPA Gold filters. Although they live near an Auto Zone, they could get a Boch.

What is your opinion on the VW? What should I use?

Thank you.

For the vw, post a Q on tdiclub.com You'll get some very experienced opinions very fast as many members really pay attention to oils there.

If it's a 2002 TDI, it has a turbo. TDI = Turbo Direct Injection.

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 or Rotella T 5w40 are both great oils. Either can oil can go the full 10K miles given most of their miles are highway.

Either oil filter will work, too.

Last edited:
True, my Bosch oil filters were purchased online. AutoZone might be able to order some for him?

NAPA Gold is supposedly a good filter too.

Ty for the response. I cruised over to that site and called my friend.
Awsome site... thats why I hang out at BITG. Great resources!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I plan on using Mobil 1 or PP on the Ford.
But I am curious as to what to use on the VW.

The VW is a diesel with NO turbo.
I am leaning towards Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40, or Rotella 5w40. Just cause I have heard good things about them.
Also, since I will be near a NAPA I just plan on using one of their NAPA Gold filters. Although they live near an Auto Zone, they could get a Boch.

The NAPA Gold oil filter, made by WIX, is an excellent filter. Rotella T 5w40 or M1 5w40 will work just fine for a 10k-mile oil change interval, though the M1 can probably go further if you like.

If your TDI's turbo isn't working, then you should get it fixed -- it will run much better, with cleaner combustion and less soot in the exhaust and in the oil.

The Wix spec'ed for my Cabriolet is different from the Mahle filters I bought. They don't even look the same peering inside, the height and weight are also different. There may be some that are the same, or produced by (outsourced to) WIX but I know my model is not.

I will see if I can get a hold of a Wix for the Cabriolet and post them here on BITOG for you guys to see. I won't cut it open, just show you the noticeable differences looking in the center and the height/weight difference. This way I can use it and not be out the cost.
thumbsup2.gif

I spoke with my buddy about his cars a couple nights back.
It went something like this.

(him)"Yeah, the TDI, it has a Turbo. Just like I told you."

"Uhh, no dude, you said it had NO Turbo, but it still ran Syntetic oil for a Diesil."

(him)"Nope, it has a turbo. How do you think a 100 horsepower engine could actually get a car up to highway speeds without a turbo to double its output?"

"Ok dude, I get it, BTW you need to take a look at this site."

Anyways, confusion solved. I pointed him out to the site. Very intersting engine design. And I have determined that he knows less about his cars than I do. Nice guy, just not much car experience.
Who knows, maybe he will get involved in BITOG and learn some good stuff.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
www.fleetfilter.com is a BITOG sponsor and also has great deals on cases of WIX oil filters. I've seen WIX and Mahle cartridge filters for Volkswagens, side by side, and there is no apparent difference in the quality of construction or materials.

Agree with above. I bought both, and the Wix were made in Poland, (just like the engine), and the Mahle were made in Germany. Looked like a matched pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back