02 Toyote Echo Oil Use Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who has owned a 2002 Toyota Echo since it was new; it now has approximately 115,000 miles on it. He has religiously changed the oil at 3,000 mile intervals and used Castrol GTX 5W-30. The car has developed a serious thirst for oil, and there are no apparent leaks.

Is this car a known sludge issue? Any ideas as to why it would start rather suddenly using so much oil? I would think that 3,000 miles on a decent brand of oil in temperature moderate Portland, OR would keep an engine happy past 115,000 miles.

No that is not one of the sludge prone vehicles.

You might try changing the PCV valve.

You could also try a HM oil like Mobil 1 HM or Valvoline Maxlife. They are very stout oils and can help if you have some leak issues.

Last edited:
The Echo's 1.5 4-cylinder is roughly based on the old Tercel's 1.5 engine. These engines often start to consume large amount of oil as they get up in miles. No major defect with the engine, the rings just tend to wear out faster than other engines.

This won't have any effect on the engines longevity - even with high oil consumption, they run forever. Just keep the engine topped off, and all will be well.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
The Echo's 1.5 4-cylinder is roughly based on the old Tercel's 1.5 engine. These engines often start to consume large amount of oil as they get up in miles. No major defect with the engine, the rings just tend to wear out faster than other engines.
No it's not. It's a totally different design - the latest Tercel used the 5E-FE motor and the Echo used the 1NZ-FE motor. The 1NZ-FE motor shares architecture with the Prius 1NZ-FXE engine.

Check compression, check PCV, check for blue smoke out tailpipe when accelerating after coasting. It's still basic engine mechanics and oil control rings, pcv, and valve stem seals are a source of oil burning on any engine, for starters. From what I know/have seen this engine is very durable. The NZ series engines differ completely from the earlier E series cast iron block/timing belt 1.5's. The Yaris, Echo, Scion, Prius NZ engine variants haven't been known for oil burning, or problems at all, from my experiences, which of course are small compared to the tens of thousands of owners out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back