02 Sentra SE-R burning oil... over 75,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only owned the car for about 6 months. It burned up the conventional oil that came in the car. So when I changed the oil for the first time, I tried Max Life synthetic blend. It still burned up about 2 quarts (same as the conventional) after only about 2,500 miles. I topped it off and added a can of Restore. I'm going to change the oil again soon and I want to use a synthetic. Would the Walmart full synthetic be good enough? Or should I try PP, M1, etc.? I've even looked into Amsoil and Edge. Thanks for the help!

Do a search for Auto-Rx on this forum. I ran Auto-Rx on a 04 accord v6 at 109,600 because it was burning up to 2 quarts in 5K miles. After that, I'm burning ~1/4 quart every 6-8K with PP, Valvoline synthetic and YB. Walmart synthetic is $17.50, for $18 you can get Q horsepower or better yet spend $20 and get PP.

I believe these cars have problems with the pre-catalytic converter breaking apart inside and getting sucked back into the engine (the cam timing on these and many modern engines does that) and ripping up the rings. There's been several recalls for the Nissan 2.5L 4 bangers.

If that's the case, no oil will fix it.

http://www.automallusa.net/2002/nissan/sentra/recalls.html

Auto Recall Date:
MAR 11, 2003

Vehicle Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM:MANIFOLD/HEADER/MUFFLER/TAIL PIPE
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 338000
Model Affected
2002 NISSAN SENTRA

2002 Nissan Sentra Defect Summary:
ON CERTAIN VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 2.5 LITER ENGINE, THE EXHAUST PIPE HANGER PIN MAY CATCH DEBRIS FROM THE ROAD THAT COULD BE IGNITED BY CONTACT WITH THE MAIN CATALYST. ALSO ON 2002 ALTIMA AND SENTRA VEHICLES, CERTAIN ENGINE OPERATING CONDITIONS MAY CAUSE THE PRE-CATALYST TO OVERHEAT AND DAMAGE THE CATALYST SUBSTRATE.

Defect Consequence:
EITHER OF THESE TWO CONDITIONS COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REMOVE THE PROTRUDING PORTION OF THE EXHAUST PIPE HANGER PIN. IN ADDITION TO THE CORRECTIVE ACTION, IN ORDER TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE IN THE EVENT OF POOR OR IMPROPER MAINTENANCE THAT COULD RESULT IN OIL SPILLAGE, HEAT SHIELD(S) WILL BE INSTALLED ON THE PRE-CATALYST AND EXHAUST TUBE. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON JULY 28, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261. NISSAN RECALL NOS. R3007, R3014, R3015, R3016, R3017. ALSO ON 2002 ALTIMA AND SENTRA VEHICLES, CERTAIN ENGINE OPERATING CONDITIONS MAY CAUSE THE PRE-CATALYST TO OVERHEAT AND DAMAGE THE CATALYST SUBSTRATE. IF SUBSTRATE PARTICLES ENTER THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER, THEY COULD SCORE THE CYLINDER WALLS, RESULTING IN INCREASED OIL CONSUMPTION. IF THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL IS NOT CHECKED ON A PERIODIC BASIS AND DROPS BELOW THE LOW LEVEL, AND THE DRIVER CONTINUES TO OPERATE THE VEHICLE IGNORING NOTICEABLE ENGINE NOISE, ENGINE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR WHICH COULD RESULT IN A FIRE. THE PRE-CATALYST WILL BE TESTED TO ENSURE IT IS WORKING PROPERLY AND REPLACED IF NECESSARY. IF DAMAGE IS FOUND INSIDE THE PRE-CATALYST, IT WILL BE NECESSARY TO REPLACE THE ENGINE.

Estimated Vehicles Affected:

Notes:
NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC. R3007/14/15/16/17

Last edited:
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

Don't use Amsoil until you get the mechanical issues corrected.

I've thought about using Auto-Rx before. I might have to try it! How does something like Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer compare?

Thanks Drew! I know about the precat problem, and I really don't think (hope) that's the problem. My car was just at the stealership. I will definately keep that in mind...

So it seems like PP might be my best bet??? The Amsoil I was looking at is the 5W-30 XL. What about QS Ultimate Durability?

Use the ARX, the Lucas stuff does no good, just thickens the oil.

PP is good, Amsoil is very good as well. Like Pablo said don't use Amsoil until you're burning less, the oil is too expensive to burn.

Originally Posted By: Tortured_Soul
Thanks Drew! I know about the precat problem, and I really don't think (hope) that's the problem. My car was just at the stealership. I will definately keep that in mind...

Did you have the dealer check the pre-cat? If it is OK I would definitely auto-rx that engine and then see what happens.

Last edited:
You're right at the hairy edge of the usual 1 quart per 1000 miles rule-of-thumb that is considered "high oil consumption." What the rule of thumb overlooks is that what defines "high" oil consumption really depends on the architecture of the engine itself. IF this were a big-bore v8 with a lot of cylinder ring circumference, that much consumption wouldn't be cause for alarm. But its a little small-bore 4-cylinder, and that's a heck of a lot of oil for it to burn. I have to agree with those who have said that it will be economic suicide to waste expensive synthetic oil on that engine until you get the mechanical problems fixed.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I believe these cars have problems with the pre-catalytic converter breaking apart inside and getting sucked back into the engine (the cam timing on these and many modern engines does that) and ripping up the rings. There's been several recalls for the Nissan 2.5L 4 bangers.

Also have issues with the screws that hold the butterfly valves in the intake get lose and get sucked into the engine.

One of the main reasons I got rid of my 03 SER...

It was using about a qt. of M1 0W-40 at 3K...I had the recall fix done, but began to wonder if it was already too late. The engine noticeably was losing a little of its edge and I was also tired of worry about dings and dents during my then occupation on various jobsites...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Also have issues with the screws that hold the butterfly valves in the intake get lose and get sucked into the engine.

Both of these issues are potential problems with the QR25DE. I don't put very many miles on mine, but it's something I'm aware of and I keep an eye on it. I think it's a reliable engine other than that, and so your oil usage may stem from either of these issues (unless it was needlessly abused by a former owner). As Bamaro says, if it can be attributed to either the pre-cat or butterfly valve screws, no amount of AutoRX or different types of oil will fix it.

Whatever it is, good luck and let us know how you make out.

Gary

A product called Cermax - repaired the rings on my Girl friends Honda civic - This car was billowing smoke out of the tail pipe before the treatment. 1000kms after treatment oil consumption was almost nothing - drastic change in MPG as well.

I know people on this forum do not like anything other than Auto RX - but this Cermax stuff worked.

Do a google search -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back