02 Prius Burning Oil

So I have this little beast running up to 220k miles soon, and we had it since 30k miles so its mostly been with us when driven. Its had its fair shares of walmart oil changes and for the most part I think its had a 3k oci its whole life. I recently started to run it up to 5k and I noticed after 3k it burns a whole quart, and I fill it up and soon after at 5k it goes down another quart. So I think it burns 2 quarts in 5k miles. Its mostly highway driving and the previous walmart oil changes were all HM oils. I am wondering if I should use a HM oil again since the past 3 oci its had the standard PP.
If I were to use a HM oil what should I choose? Would the new rated oils potentially clean up this 1.5L and its common burning issues?

Are you saying the engine doesn't burn ANY oil up to 3K miles? And the burning starts right after 3K?

I don't know what to tell you on this. You say its mostly driven on the highway. Its probably running 20 weight, maybe. You could try a 30 weight to reduce consumption. You may need to check the PCV valve. I am assuming no visible leaks from the engine? Your valve cover gaskets could be leaking.

This guy has it figured out.

18 yr old auto might just use some oil,,1 quart is not a big issue, just watch it from time to time...enjoy that she still runs
This is true, and there are cars a lot newer with a lot less miles using more oil. But this is Bitog, and trying to help people resolve oil use issues is a passion for many here.

old oil burner = conventional 15W-40 CK-4 HDEO such as Delvac, Delo, Rotella, Premium Blue, etc.

It's very cheap for frequent top-offs, has far less odor than synthetics when it burns, will reduce oil consumption to less than half of that with 5W-30, and will reduce wear, emissions, and further engine problems. The slight loss in fuel economy is worth these tremendous benefits when you are driving a very old car such as the OP's Gen 1 Prius.

I have never tried SAE 20W-50 but that's also a great SAE viscosity grade for mild climates for old cars, with minimal VII and a very high base-oil viscosity. It may come handy for severe oil consumption in mild climates. South of the border, you will find even thicker SAE viscosity grades made of Group I dino base oil.

So I have this little beast running up to 220k miles soon, and we had it since 30k miles so its mostly been with us when driven. Its had its fair shares of walmart oil changes and for the most part I think its had a 3k oci its whole life. I recently started to run it up to 5k and I noticed after 3k it burns a whole quart, and I fill it up and soon after at 5k it goes down another quart. So I think it burns 2 quarts in 5k miles. Its mostly highway driving and the previous walmart oil changes were all HM oils. I am wondering if I should use a HM oil again since the past 3 oci its had the standard PP.
If I were to use a HM oil what should I choose? Would the new rated oils potentially clean up this 1.5L and its common burning issues?
Sounds like that Prius need a new set of pistons and valve stems . Contact the Toyota Dealership

I seem to remember those Prius engines being known to burn oil very early in their life. Something about low piston ring tension.
So 200k miles is "very early" in a little ice engine's life, nevermind being 18 years old?

Daughter's 2008 Prius with 170,000 has been using oil since around 125,000 or so. How much, well I do around a 6000 OCI with synthetic, last one changed to HM Mobil 1. It used maybe 3/4 or a quart between changes, with Covid so much has changed but the consumption with the HM does not seem to have changed much. It will go 3000 miles with no chang than boom, starts to drink a little after that.

Back