02 Honda V6 Coolant Leak Near EGR Valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Honda Accord 3.0 V6... a few weeks ago i noticed the Idle Air Control hoses were leaking b/c the old clamps just didn't hold tight enough so I put regular clamps and that fixed the leaks..

I clean off engine and make sure there is no blue coolant under the throttle body anymore.... I changed all the old clamps and put new clamps and made sure there is no leaks..

Then a few days later Now I see coolant leak right next to the EGR Valve.... When i start the car I have ZERO WHITE SMOKE and NONE of the butter milk under the oil cap.. Some people like to say its the Head Gasket first thing...

At work I asked a Honda tech and he said it was common to have a faulty EGR Gasket cause what I was telling him.. I was like WHAT????????????

He showed me a bulletin on his Tablet computer and it says what I have pasted below.

Problem Description

A faulty gasket can cause coolant seepage from the water passage near the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve. Replacing the gasket should correct this coolant leak

So my Question is???

Has anyone ever heard of this??? is this Possible???

I personally never new Coolant went anyplace near a EGR Valve.

Any Info would be helpful. Thank you

Well I just went outside and changed the EGR gasket..... I had a few extra ones from way back when I had to remove the intake and clean the EGR passage way... So I put a new Gasket also I changed Water Coolant Temperature Sensor. That thing was the original that came with the car from the factory... A new Honda one from Ebay was only $7.50.. The picture is below.. However mine came with a crush washer and not a rubber gasket.
The one on my engine had a rubber one.. Perhaps its a knock off, You never know what your going to get on ebay.... but it is working and not leaking at least from the sensor.. I just hope there is no more seapage near the EGR Valve... Its very odd place to have a leak.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
https://i.ibb.co/fMHdyRZ/cooltem.jpg

I dunno yet.... I let the car idle for 15 minutes and I saw no leak..but when I drive around today Ill check it later and see....Hope that was problem

>Has anyone ever heard of this??? is this Possible???

Well, yeah, even Honda has and they consider it a common enough problem to warrant a service bulletin.

Also if those little hoses to the idle air control and other parts on the manifold have started to leak, replace them. New clamps are not a solution for the rubber becoming soft. The factory spring type clamps work better than screw type ones if the hoses are OK. The springiness allows them to move and keep tension on as the parts expand / contract with temperature changes.

Last edited:
The coolant crossover gasket is what he was likely talking about not the egr valve gasket

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back