02 Honda Sabre 1100 - Keep using Rottella?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ride an 02 Sabre 1100 with a recently replaced cevlar wet clutch. I've been running Rottella 5W40 and replacing every 4K miles since I bought it used with only 7,700 miles on it. It's now got almost 28,000 miles. I run about 7 - 8K a year on it.

I've noticed that the Rotella has been goin up in price incredibly and is now approaching $20 for the jug. I was wondering if there was anything else I could use that would protect as well as the Rotella or should I just suck it up and pay it cause it's great oil that a lot of riders swear by? Thanks for input!!

Originally Posted By: coffee
I would use the Rotella 15w40 personally. It works great and the price is much better.

I can't really use the 15W because of a flaw in the design of the 1100. It gets a ticking noice because of a hole in the engine that isn't big enough to move enough oil that is thicker. So I have to stick to a thinner oil.

Originally Posted By: conradpvcs
Originally Posted By: coffee
I would use the Rotella 15w40 personally. It works great and the price is much better.

I can't really use the 15W because of a flaw in the design of the 1100. It gets a ticking noice because of a hole in the engine that isn't big enough to move enough oil that is thicker. So I have to stick to a thinner oil.

At operating temperature, the 5W-40 and the 15W-40 are the same viscosity. I know of several Shadow/Sabre riders that use the 15W-40 with excellent results.

Originally Posted By: PT1
I would stick with what is working for you. Even at $5/qt that is not bad for a syn oil. IMO.

Are you sure he's referring to Rotella T synthetic?

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Originally Posted By: PT1
I would stick with what is working for you. Even at $5/qt that is not bad for a syn oil. IMO.

Are you sure he's referring to Rotella T synthetic?

Yep, it's the blue bottle at Wal-mart for $19. Pretty sure it's the synth.

In all honesty, at 8k a year, I only have to change my oil twice a year, so it's no big deal trying to save 5 bucks twice a year vs. having better protection. I just figured I'd see if there was a hot new thing since the Rotella T and it looks like there isn't. Thanks for the help all!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back