02 Honda Accord V6 & K&N Filter Questions... Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I have noticed...

FRAM does not make the Tough Gaurd Air Filter for my Car.

Also

Purolator Does Not make the Pure One Air Filter for my car.

I was told b/c this car has a MaSS Air Flow Sensor and if you use a OILED Air Filter
it can cause MaSS Air Flow Sensor to get full of Oil and get it dirty and cause problems
like a check engine light or even cause you to have to buy a new MASS Air Flow Sensor.

Or might cause you to have to clean it often.

However K&N sells a Filter for the 02 Honda Accord V6 3.0

Also there are 2 K&N Air Filters that are suppose to fit this car..
However they both have differnt model numbers

Also AAP has the filter listed as 1 of the same model numbers as Amazon

just wonder

1, Is it safe to use this Filter with a Honda V6 that has a MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR

2, What model?

3, If its both whats the differnce in the models?

Thanks

here are pics

Here is the 33-2124 show on Amazon

biwc9t.jpg

Here is the 33-2133 show on Amazon

16jr8sw.jpg

and here is the 33-2133 that is show on AAP Site

blszr.jpg

So wondering what you all think?

Why does the Oiled FRAM TOUGH GAURD and PURE-ONE that is oiled also not sell this filter for the Honda V6 3.0 .. However K8N does.

And if I were to get this filter can it cause problems to the MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR

Thank you very much for any info

If there is no Fram or Purolator air filter for your Accord V6, Honda OEM air filter passes more than enough air for your engine, no need to pass dust though K&N air filter into your engine.

Performance gain, is any, is only at or near redline, if you track your Accord then passing dust into your engine may be the price to pay for few horse power gain you may get on the track.

You'll see more benefit from a full service & re-lube than you will from a K(rap) & N(asty).

If you feel compelled to make a modification, run a length of the largest diameter hose you can find from the dirty side of the airbox to e front of the car (grille, frog light hole etc)

Free DIY CAI without any reduction in filtration efficiency, and you save $50 not buying the filter!!

I've used K&N for decades... never had to wipe the air ducting clean, never had an MAF sensor get fouled with oil. No issue at all.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I've used K&N for decades... never had to wipe the air ducting clean, never had an MAF sensor get fouled with oil. No issue at all.

What benefit do you get?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
What benefit do you get?

I think the benefits aren't as readily observable today as they might have been in the past. In a modern airbox with a decent OEM type filter, people aren't going to have any problems, or, more accurately, they're not going to be realizing a great benefit from switching to K&N.

Now, in something older with a carb, particularly in an air filter setup that needed more servicing, thanks to being exposed to the elements and even blowby, a K&N could have an economic benefit, or at least a benefit in reducing maintenance effort.

I have an unopened one somewhere on the shelf for the old F-150. I may end up using it.

Originally Posted By: Garak
K&N could have an economic benefit, or at least a benefit in reducing maintenance effort.

I have an unopened one somewhere on the shelf for the old F-150. I may end up using it.

That's it exactly Garak. However miniscule some may think it is, it's a good reason for me.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Yes wemay, i do not quite get the hatred Olas and possibly others dish out for this air filter.

Want to see madness, find the pistol grip shifter thread in the for sale section

thumbsup2.gif

Yes! I remember that thread. People really get dug in. No problem though, I've always said to each their own. It's when terms like "rock catcher" etc. get used that it can become a little silly.

The only time I have ever wiped dirt from the clean side was when servicing the K&Ns I have had and that was several. SPectre did much better but still a little dust got by. I have never had dust with OEM and never ever with AC delco.. I am also getting good results from the amsoils but they stopped production and from AEF dry cleanable so far anyway. My money is on the AC delco and forget about it a year if you live in a dust bowl, maybe longer if not in dusty conditions. I still have the one on K&N the 502 and everytime I service it I have to clean the intake butterfly and throat. And I have replaced it twice just to see if new would be better but it is not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
That's it exactly Garak. However miniscule some may think it is, it's a good reason for me.

Yep, I think the maintenance issue on an older style air cleaner might make them worth it. Having two K&Ns in my G37 with a long FCI would make it not worth my while; a couple Frams are hard to beat. In the F-150, where the filter element is fairly exposed and there are difference performance concerns, it might make some sense. And, I'll have to see how the current paper one does. Some of those old housings didn't seal all that well anyhow, and I've got an aftermarket one on there now. It may seal better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Yes wemay, i do not quite get the hatred Olas and possibly others dish out for this air filter.

I've used K&N filters in the past, and found the clean side of my airbox, throttle body and throttle blade all covered in a fine black dust.
Swap back to Mann/Mahle and everything after the filter stays clean.

On that experience alone, I have concluded that OE paper filters are more effective at removing dust and particulate from the air than a oiled cotton type filter, and, given that the primary function of a filter is to offer filtration I can only justify using a filter that does what it's supposed to (ie, filter!)

No hatred here, just an informed consumer concerned with cleanliness and longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back