02 Honda Accord Tramlining Groove Wandering issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

HJC

Hi all,

I've got a friend who's not too knowledgable about cars and basically neglects the maintenance.

So recently she decided to get 2 new front tires. Yes, I know she should replace all 4 at the same time but.... anyways. Upon getting new tires, she noticed the car would wander around and follow the rain grooves on the highway. This was not an issue with her old tires, which are now worn. She thinks it's the tire type so she had the shop swap out to a more expensive tire. She says it feels better but the problem persists.

Now I asked if she's ever done an alignment and she says NEVER. Never in the 12+ years she's owned the vehicle. And she insists she doesn't need one and the tires are solely responsible for this wandering issue.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. First, Tramlining is the same as groove wandering? Second, she definetly should get an alignment to rule out one of the causes of her problem.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I would say you could be right.

1) alignment and a different toe setting could explain wandering. There's no way to tell until it's on the rack and you see what the readings are.

2) how long has she had the tires? New tires always may seem greasy for up to 500miles. So she can be partially right that the new tires contribute to the wandering. This is both the release oil, as well as the tire needing to wear into the alignment of the car (which if it's off will need more wear before it's got a full contact patch).

That being said,

If she doesn't want to even want to consider other options to fix the problem; save your energy, let her [censored] and moan to someone else.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
If she doesn't want to even want to consider other options to fix the problem; save your energy, let her [censored] and moan to someone else.

LOL

What tires?

My parents 2013 Escape has Continental "ProContiProContactPro with EcoProContiPlus Technology" tires on it from the factory. They thought there was something wrong with the suspension / steering because it tram railed so horribly. Was just tires.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
What tires?

My parents 2013 Escape has Continental "ProContiProContactPro with EcoProContiPlus Technology" tires on it from the factory. They thought there was something wrong with the suspension / steering because it tram railed so horribly. Was just tires.

First set was:
Falken Sincera SN-828
195/65R-15

Second set was:
Bridgestone Ecopia EP422
195/65R-15

I do realize that it COULD be the tires but since the 12+ year old car has NEVER had an alignment done, it should get one anyway to rule it out of the equation.

Last edited:
low rolling resistance tires with full tread will like to wander abit compared to bald worn out tires.

Esp. for the first 500-1000 miles.

Add in no alignment check in 12 years and the actual problem is anyone's guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back