02 grizz burning about .5 qt per 75 hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
seems like this is a common problem with them. i have tried many different oils. 15w40s, 15w50s,. i may try regular old 20w50 but zddp is low in most of the auto oils. I just refuse to pay 10 dollars for ATV oil.

That amount of consumption is not bad. HDEOs oil have enough additives to protect and cost around $11.00 per gallon.

Sorry i screwed up the title, it is 75 miles, which is about every day when i ride.

I have a buddy with a 500 Polaris X2 with similar problem. He took it to his dealer and they found out it was a scoured piston. He had to have the cilinder bored out and a new piston put in. Cost = $1,400.00!! He had a small amount of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust upon start up that alerted him to this before the tear down at the dealer.

I heard the air filter is inadequate on these ATV's. People say dirt gets past the filter and does damage to the engine which in turn causes oil consumption.

check out this----> http://www.mtccustomparts.com/Install-Video.php
(ps - I have no relationship to this, there is interesting info at this link pertaining to this issue)

As for specific ATV oils its up to you BUT what most fail to see is many ATV share a common oil sump with the engine and transmission. The engine oil also has to be suitable as a transmission/clutch lubricant, many plain engines oils will they will work with the clutch (if so equipped) are not designed to protect transmissions. If the oil does not have the JASO MA/MA2 spec on the label you may be putting your engine warranty in jeopardy.

Most newer 4X4 ATV's are belt driven by a CVT and do not share the same oil as the engine. They usually have a sep. gear box that takes a chaincase oil or gear oil. If they have a foot shifter then they commonly share the same oil. I'm not sure about the 02 Yamaha Griz. You are right about the air filters. That is one of the reasons for my friend's Polaris problems. He ran a K&N filter and prefilter sock over the it. This was a few months before the engine rebuild. He rides hard but takes good care of his machine. We don't see much dust here in the East where we ride. I'm convinced that the K&N rock catcher screen played a major role in the demise of that engine. He has since changed back to the OEM paper filter that Polaris runs.

Honda's are not belt driven and they are the predominate ATV on the market. Polaris and CanAm are belt driven. Many Yamaha's have wet clutch or so I have been told by owners.

Yes, Honda has an automotive type tranny, but the rest of the larger 4X4's have CVTs including Yamaha.
I don't agree that "Honda is the predominent ATV". Look at any ATV racing, motocross, GNCC, etc. Honda is represented equally as well as all others brands. They might be in your particular area, just not everywhere. I see mostly Polaris and Arctic Cat where I ride.

Last edited:
I was going by total sales nation wide, you are only looking at a few segments. I just read in 2008 they sold 211,000 units in North America. I don't see any other manf. coming close to that but I could be wrong

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
I was going by total sales nation wide, you are only looking at a few segments. I just read in 2008 they sold 211,000 units in North America. I don't see any other manf. coming close to that but I could be wrong

I've always known that Honda sells more, but they are not any better or worse IMO. Their ATV's certainly do not dominate anywhere as far as performance or power that's for sure! They are known for reliability, but that's debatable. You'll see a lot of them in long desert races because of their reliability, mainly due to the engine not sharing the same oil as the tranny in the TRX450R. The biggest engine they make in an ATV is the Rincon 680cc. I have 2 friends that run those. Check out mudbog racing or GNCC. Can-Am by far dominates in those areas. I guess what I meant was dominating racing events not in sales alone. Don't mean to offend any Honda owners here, good quads really.

I have a 2006 Rincon, had 2001 and 2005 Rancher 4x4's. So far I have not had to replace anything on any them but tires and one battery on the Rincon.

I know someone who's son races Can-Am's in GNCC but the ATV is far from stock. Here is list of all the parts that are take off's on the race ATV that he was selling recently.

Can Am 650 & 800 parts
4 sets of upper & lower A arms L&R
4 steering stems
Factory front bumpers
Handle bars
Tie Rods
TTI trailing arms Lefts & Rights
TTI torsion bars & levers
Seats
Wiring
Battery Holders
Axles
Factory wheels & tires
4 sets Factory stock Shocks
Frames & Frame sections
stock head pipe & mufflers
most is brand new take off

BTW you can have a wet clutch even if you have a CVT as is the case in the Rhino SxS....the belt drive drives the wet clutch and then the driveshaft in the Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back